Naming

The Mbeere tribe naming practices are significant and diverse. Names may be based on the time of birth, ceremonial events, family lineage, characteristics or traits, circumstantial events, or spiritual and religious significance.

The naming process is communal and holds cultural importance, often reflecting the individual's identity and connection to the community's traditions. Additionally, some individuals may have more than one name, incorporating names from various family members or generations. 

 My father was given the name Ngiri, after the Warthog. In his childhood, he was known for being an exceptionally swift runner and mischievous, as recounted by Grandma. This led to his decision to join a seminary, with the intention of channeling his energy and guiding him toward a more constructive path. 

 He was the second among his mother's five surviving children. Surviving because in medieval times, many children faced the peril of premature death due to inhaling cow dung or sheep droppings.Limited hygiene practices and close living conditions with domestic animals increased the risk of unsanitary environments. This posed health risks like the transmission of infectious diseases, respiratory issues, allergies, and exposure to toxic substances. It was not until much later that separate living structures were built to mitigate these risks. 

 After leaving the seminary, Papa journeyed to Nairobi in search of better opportunities. Despite the considerable changes during that period, he exhibited resilience and determination by meeting the necessary requirements and obtaining a job at the airline. Specifically, he served as an accountant at the Headquarters office situated in Embakasi - Jomo Kenyatta airport, Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya. 

 He returned and married my mother, who occasionally visited Nairobi for the delivery of her then three babies. In our village, the task of selecting a spouse was typically a communal endeavor,governed by customs and clan regulations. Formal betrothals were not customary for our people. Papa had aspired to become a priest as a seminarian whilst Mamahad set her sights on becoming a nun. 

 However, when the time came to sign thenecessary permission slips and release forms, their parents declined, citing areduced workforce needed to manage their homesteads. Thus, their union was aserendipitous match, seemingly destined from above. 

 Papa had a remarkable talent for gift-giving;he never arrived empty-handed. I recalled the Swahili proverb, 'mkono mtupu haulambwi' (an empty hand is never licked). In our culture, it was customary for visitors to bring gifts when they came, and my father adhered to this tradition faithfully. His generosity extended to his entire family as we eagerly anticipated and celebrated his return every other week.