Medicine Men

Aside from living among wild animals, my fellow tribesmen, the Mbeere are medicine men who held a significant role in both spiritual and healing practices. They are revered for their knowledge of herbs and plants, using them to create remedies for various ailments.

Serving as intermediaries between the community and spiritual forces, medicine men conduct rituals and ceremonies to promote healing, protect against malevolent forces, and guide individuals during childbirth and naming ceremonies. Their expertise is deeply respected within the community, reflecting a holistic approach to health that integrates both the physical and spiritual dimensions. 

Failure to comprehend and acknowledge these practices resulted in being associated with witchcraft. Envy among neighbors and relatives was widespread, and the circulating stories were both tragic and seemingly unbelievable.      

One such tragedy involved my maternal grandmother, who lost nine children after her neighbor fed them poison. On that fateful day, the children had gone to the farm by themselves. The eldest was about 16 years old, while the youngest, my mother, was just two. Her 10-year-old brother, John, carried her as they made their way to the farm. On a whim, they took a detour to visit their neighbor, Simba, who offered them meat from a recently deceased goat. 

It remains unclear whether he intentionally poisoned the children. Simba was a family friend and a distant relative who had been unable to have his own children. The Njiru children had grown fond of him and had no reason to suspect his intentions. John feigned a toothache and refused to eat, while my mother was too young to manage the tough meat. As soon as the children finished their meal and started back toward the farm, they all fell in agony by the roadside. 

These were four pairs of twins, plus one, totaling nine children. Grandma would later give birth to three more children, including a set of twins, but tragically, only one of the twins survived. She had one son and four daughters. In his later years, Simba fathered four children, all of whom were afflicted with polio. This story serves as a stark reminder that deeds done in darkness have a way of coming to light in unusual and unexpected ways. Karma is it?