Domestic Violence

On a somber note, in the African tradition, wife-beating was permitted under the guise of maintaining women's composure and reminding them to respect their husbands. Sadly, my maternal grandfather also resorted to this practice, leading to a severe injury to Grandma Veronica's back. 

The day she was discovered, her aged back had broken. This haunting memory has deeply affected me, and I am resolute in my stance against anyone laying a hand on me. Thank goodness as we acknowledge that perspectives on domestic violence have evolved over time. Grandma Veronica lived for 84 years, passing away in 1991. 

Her absence left a void that we have felt throughout our lives. The connection between the rural home and the urban dwelling was irrevocably severed and never repaired. Grandpa, who was also of Kamba origin fought in the 1914 war. He lived in Mombasa for quite some years during the war. 

After Grandmas demise, he relocated to his youngest daughter's home and lived on for another 23 years. Eventually, passing away naturally at the remarkable age of 125 in the year 2014 with an achieved title of great-great grandfather. Certainly, as I introduce my grandparents, take note of the rich diversity resulting from tribes intermarrying. 

This union reflects the interconnectedness of different cultural backgrounds within my family, contributing to a tapestry of unique experiences and traditions that continue to shape my family's heritage.