Whimsical Tales

Whispers of major bank heists circulating in the town implicated a borrowed firearm until Detective Shaw intervened, exposing them from the shadows. His directive was unequivocal: 'shoot to kill, no trial, no expenses, and immediate guilt.' Patrick David Shaw embodied our very own James Bond, standing at 6 feet and weighing 300 pounds in a realm filled with myth and enigma.

His demise in February 2015, at the age of 52 due to a heart attack, left behind a legacy marked by shootouts, car chases, and lingering mysteries surrounding individuals who met their end after crossing his path. We commemorate Patrick, inviting a retrospective journey into some of the marvels of my world. 

The Roaming Lion 

Basking in the backyard, surveying the field, we heard dogs howl in unison – a sound typically associated with the scent of cannabis or police presence. However, this time, the chorus of canine cries was joined by people screaming, "Lion!" In our days, the only roaming animals one would expect were dogs or cats. Never in our wildest dreams did we anticipate witnessing a lion casually strolling through our streets. In a chaotic scramble, we rushed inside our houses and peeped through our little backdoor window to witness an audacious lion, seemingly unperturbed, making its way through the field. This lion had ventured far from the national park, passing through crowds of people before a boy sounded the alarm. 

Amidst the ensuing commotion of people and their dogs fleeing, the lion retained a regal composure, shaking its mane as it continued on its way. The self-appointed title of 'King of the Jungle' seemed to resonate as it roamed beyond conventional boundaries. In a matter of seconds, the streets were completely deserted as wildlife conservators arrived just in time to tranquilize the lion and return it to its natural habitat. We all sat back and chuckled at ourselves for sprinting before actually laying eyes on the lion. Such incidents make one ponder the nuances of civilization.

Whiff of Mischief 

The white Ford screeched to a halt directly in front of the bus stop at the shopping center, instantly drawing the attention of bystanders. I had just bought a delightful bag of Pasua, which includes mandazi (a type of East African fried bread with fries). A man on a black mamba bicycle urgently shouted, "thieves!" His cry echoed through the air, commanding the attention of everyone nearby. In an instant, a hush fell over the scene as all activity ceased, and curious onlookers turned their gaze towards the unfolding drama. 

The man on the bicycle had been tailing three individuals who had brazenly stolen his neighbor's car. To compound matters, the thieves had also made off with the payday guard's salary, stored in a black box in the backseat of the stolen vehicle. The gravity of the situation hung palpably in the air as bystanders awaited the next turn of events, ready to witness the resolution of the daring theft. Sensing the imminent danger, two of the robbers emerged, wielding AK47s. However, this aggressive move turned out to be a grave miscalculation. Both young and old vendors displayed remarkable courage, boldly surging forward without a hint of fear. In unison, they began chanting, their voices resonating through the marketplace. In their hands, large rocks transformed into a formidable arsenal, primarily sourced from vegetable vendors who had used them to construct platforms for their merchandise.

One of the robbers fired a shot into the air in an attempt to intimidate the crowd, but the vendors remained undeterred. Instead, they closed in on him, pelting him with stones until he succumbed to his injuries. As the first robber fell, the vendors swiftly turned their attention to the second assailant. Seeing the imminent danger, he dropped his gun and fled towards the Nairobi River, clutching some stolen loot in his pockets. The younger vendors pursued as the robber plunged into the murky Nairobi river. The polluted environment proved unbearable, and he struggled to hold his breath for long. Sensing his desperation, the vendors waited patiently on the riverbank, urging him to take his time as they prepared to apprehend him once he resurfaced. As he gasped for air, the robber frantically tossed a bundle of notes towards his pursuers, hoping to buy himself some time. They remained unfazed by the scattered cash, exchanging jokes and laughter amongst themselves.