Maternal Grandparents

Maternal Grandma Veronica possessed a unique and intriguing set of traits. She lived independently while her husband resided just a stone's throw away, permitted to visit only when summoned for meals. At 80 years old, she was the most stunning octogenarian I knew, with flowing white hair that cascaded down her back.

She shared intriguing fact that her mother, mygreat grandmother hailed from Saudi Arabian descent, while her father was of Maasai heritage. In an era when intermarriages were discouraged among tribes,her family had relocated from their homeland. This explained her fair complexion and glossy hair. 

Granny was a woman of remarkable courage. She inhabited a territory teeming with hyenas, leopards, and other lurking creatures within the thickets surrounding her home. Without fail, she made the journey to visit her children in Nairobi twice a year, displaying her unwavering commitment. 

She possessed an innate knowledge of the land and always managed to locate us, even when we relocated to a new residence. She not only cooked for us but also kept us thoroughly entertained, making her departure a heartfelt and memorable occasion. 

Her sense of timing was impeccable, and she imparted a valuable lesson - to depart while the warmth of kindness still prevailed. So, whenever I choose to leave while a gathering is at its peak, remember, it was my wise ancestor who taught me this principle.