Chapter 11

March 2023, they were in Jeddah.  Media day, she was never a fan of that but who was, anyway?

"Hello Alma," one of the interviewers. She took the microphone "Ciao,"

"First of all, congratulations on your first win in this season, I think we can say that, one of too many to come. Did you miss the feeling of winning?" the interviewer asked.

"I did, that's why I am back," she smiled.

"Do you regret about your retirement decision in 2019?"

Alma's smile faltered slightly at the mention of 2019, her expression briefly clouding with a hint of sadness. The haunted year. She thought, it was going to be her year, but the tables turned so fast.

"Past is past," she repeated, her tone firm as she composed herself.  "It was the best decision for that year. I needed some time off and I had it." She hoped that the guy would let it go but he was so insistent to get more into that situation.

"But Alma, surely the fans are curious," the interviewer pressed, their tone insistent. "Why did you choose to partner with Lewis again? Especially after everything that happened between you two in 2019?"

Alma's smile tightened slightly, her discomfort evident as she struggled to maintain her composure. "Mercedes gave me a good opportunity and I knew the car was going to be decent enough to win a race. I didn't necessarily choose my teammate but my team,"  she replied, her tone measured but firm.

The interviewer seemed unsatisfied with her response, pushing further with a persistent line of questioning. "But given the events of 2019, some might argue that working with Lewis again could be a distraction or even a risk. How do you respond to those concerns?"

"Without any risks taken, success is rarely achieved," Alma retorted, her voice growing firmer as she addressed the interviewer's persistence. "I hope this answers your question," she passed microphone to Charles because she was so done with this clownshow.

Others got their turn to answer questions from the interviewers, each offering their own insights and perspectives on the upcoming race in Jeddah. Though, journalists were bombarding Alma with senseless questions.

Another reporter stepped forward, their voice cutting through the air with a probing tone. "Alma, you've mentioned that working with Lewis again was more about the team than the individual choice. But can you elaborate on how you plan to navigate any potential personal tensions that may arise between you two on the track?"

Alma's jaw tightened slightly at the question, but she maintained her composure, choosing her words carefully. " I feel like, I am copy-pasting my answers all the time,"she admitted with a hint of exasperation in her voice.

She rubbed her eyes with her  left hand, she took a moment to collect herself before continuing. "Mhm, as I've said before, my focus is solely on racing," she reiterated firmly, her patience wearing thin."Any potential personal tensions will be managed professionally, and our priority remains on delivering results for the team. Thank you."

She gave the signal that she was done with that bullshit and her reaction made the journalist sat down to his chair.

The media days were worse than how she remembered. Meanwhile, they asked Charles about their golf day and he gave a full speech about it. Then, they asked her a question again.

"Hello Alma, it sounds like you all had quite the eventful day on the golf course," a new one commented with a smile.

"I want to ask you about the last corner in the Bahrain Grand Prix. Lewis didn't want you to pass him but you passed him in the last corner and won the race. Did this situation contribute to a problem within the team? The cool down room and podium, the tension between you, two were palmable."