First Solo Mission

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.
\Thoughts\

Naruto talking in his mind.
'Kurama/Kyuubi'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(With Naruto)

Naruto woke up in a good mood. He planned to get his first solo mission. He was hopeful that there would be one for him. He was a little worried he would be turned down but Iruka was supposed to be in the mission room so he was hopeful. He quickly got ready.

\I can't believe this is happening. It still feels like a dream.\ He thought to himself.

After dressing in his chūnin uniform he went to the kitchen. He made himself some breakfast. He then left to go to the mission room. Iruka was already there and was smiling at him. A few civilians scowled at him but he just ignored it.

"Good morning Naruto-kun." Iruka greeted him.

"Morning!" He smiled.

"What kind of mission would you like?" He asked.

"I'm hoping for a solo-" He was cut off.

"Just because you are chūnin doesn't mean you can handle a solo b-rank mission." One sneered.

"I was hoping for c-rank." Naruto corrected.

"Oh and you think you're ready for that?" Another asked as the first turned red in embarrassment.

"I believe so. I have trained for this." He answered.

"Well, I do have a C-Rank mission." Iruka said, giving the others a dirty look. Near the south gate there have been reports of a large animal attacking. We need someone to find it, identify it, and take care of it. Do you think you are ready for that?" He asked.

"I am." He said.

"Then here you go." He gave him the mission scroll. "Good luck."

"Arigato." He left after that.

"What was that?" One asked Iruka.

"That was me doing my job." He replied coldly.

"Bu-"

"No buts. Naruto is a ninja of this village and will be treated with respect." He said.

"Bu-"

"I said no buts." He glared.

"Y-yes sir." They went quiet after that.

Meanwhile Naruto went back to his home to look at the scroll. He found that no one saw more than a shadow and all they heard was a growl. He sighed knowing there wasn't more information. He knew that meant he would need to go to the south gate and observe. He did just that. He made sure he was hidden as he watched the area.

I wonder what this animal is. He said to Kurama.

'No idea. There wasn't much information.' He said.

I know. I think I will use a clone and see if I can't bait it out.

'Sounds like a plan, kit. Just be careful.'

I will. He promised.

Naruto made a clone and then changed the clone to look like a young woman. He had her walk around, collecting things. Hours passed and nothing happened. He even made sure that the clone changed after a while. Soon night hit and nothing. Naruto left a clone to keep watch and went home. He ate before going to bed.

The next morning he got ready. He ate and went back to the south gate. The clone he had left was still there but witnessed nothing. This routine went on for a week. That was when he finally spotted the animal. It was a giant bear. It growled when the clone had gotten close and Naruto could see why. Next to the bear was a cub.