4. Hate

Sunghoon’s eyes expanded and he frowned from being taken aback by my blunt question, “Hate you? No, of course not. You’re one of our fans.”

His answer didn’t satisfy me for some reason, “That’s not what I meant though.”

With a puzzled look, he turned his frame to me, “What did you mean then?”

I knew it. I was just a fan.

I forced a smile, “Never mind. I’m just an ENGENE after all.”  Oh no. I made it seem like a bad thing.

Sunghoon’s frown just intensified as he wore a timid smile. Great. I just made things awkward.

Thankfully Jake lightened the mood, “Were you going to buy those albums?”

I looked down at the books, gripping them tighter, and nodded.

“How about we buy them for you?” Jungwon joined Jake’s optimistic vibe.

“No, I could never ask you to do that.” I waved my dominant hand as I tried to decline their offer.

Sunghoon gently took the albums from my grasp, “We don’t need you to ask.”

 And with that I followed them to the counter feeling defeated and guilty. So many engenes would die to be in my current situation. I was getting suspicious of the fact that I had been lucky for a few times these passing days.

After Enhypen paid for their own albums, I bowed nonstop, thanking them. They really were nice people who made their fans feel comfortable around them. Even mister Sunghoon. His eyes might have made me feel perplexed, but that didn’t mean that he didn’t make me feel content in his presence. His cotton smile was something I could look at for the rest of my life. And the softness in his eyes only added to that feeling of adoration. I just needed to teach myself how to maintain eye contact with him, because every time he glanced at me, my eyes tried to look at anything but him. With a heavy heart I tried to remind myself to maintain my feelings on fan-idol level and not to get swept away. But, honestly, it was already too late…

I smiled and waved at the trio as we parted ways, holding my gaze on Sunghoon before turning around and walking to my apartment. My lips couldn’t help but curl up.

After settling down in the kitchen, waiting for Salome to get back, I decided to open my album. I removed the plastic and took out the contents, with the photo cards and postcard facing down. I got a Niki postcard and smiled at the thought of framing it and adding it to Salome’s birthday present. In disbelief, I stared at the photo cards I just pulled. Both were Sunghoon. It felt like the universe was trying to mock me in some sick way.

Salome laughed when I told her about the question I asked Sunghoon, “What fan asks their bias if they hate them?” She continued her laughter.

I threw a pillow at her, “Hey! Shut up! How else was I supposed to ask him?”

“I don’t know, but what did he say though?”

My eyes focused on a spot on our ceiling, “He denied hating me. He said that I was their fan so…”

Salome scoffed, “Well, duh. See? You were probably over thinking things again.”

I sighed, “I know. But something still feels weird. I can feel it in my gut.”

There was a glint of curiosity in Salome’s orbs, “What do you mean by weird?”

Annoyed, I ran my fingers through my hair, “Argh, I don’t know. It’s just, they way he looks at me feels different from everyone else.” I fell on the bed on my back, “Or I’m just really delusional and should go see a doctor.”

“Maybe he was taken back by your beauty? ,” Salome said dramatically, “Or you did something to piss him off, which I highly doubt, because I was next to you the entire concert.”

I turned on my stomach, hiding my face my pillow, “I don’t knowwww. I’m sure that it isn’t your first speculation. It can’t be. No way.”

“Well, you never know.” Salome muttered.

Immediately I pointed an accusing finger at her, “No. Stop. Please don’t feed my delusion.”

My cousin climbed under her covers, “My dear cousin, there is always a possibility.”

I turned on my side with my back facing her, “Bullshit.”

Screams echoed through our apartment on Wednesday morning as Salome opened her present. She jumped up and down like a child who just received a lollipop.

She kissed the framed photo of her bias, “My baby.”

I just shook my head and watched as she opened the album. I couldn’t really judge – I also reacted that way when opening a brand new album.

We made our way to the mall after all of our classes ended. Salome claimed that she got birthday money from her parents and was dying to spend it. We went to buy new makeup and went to our favourite clothing store to get new fits. I saw a few pieces I liked, took them in my size and walked towards the fitting rooms. A figure came out of one the rooms, adjusting his black face mask. My eyes caught the mole on the side of his nose bridge. There is no way… He froze when he saw me. It was him. I just knew it.