one.

[cassie klein]
thursday, march 1st.
bahrain grand prix - qualifying.

"Just race your hardest, kiddo," Tommy says, giving my shoulder a reassuring squeeze. I smile at him, taking a deep breath.

This is the first proper race of the season, and it was safe to say I was shitting myself.

My nerves, alongside the two cups of coffee I'd already had that morning, had my heart beating faster than the car I was about to step into and my hands shaking like a leaf in the wind.

The crowd at the Bahrain International Circuit was thrumming with energy, eagerly waiting to see their favourite drivers take to the track.

"You sure you can keep up, Klein?" His voice barely reached me over the sound of the crew and the cars, but I could hear the smirk laced in his tone as pushes himself off of the wall he was leaning on, putting on his helmet and disappearing into his garage. The nerve.

I simply raise my middle finger in response and slam my visor down.

I will not be chasing the back of his car this season.

*****

[commentators]

*Looks like it's Leclerc for Ferrari closing in on last year's runner up Lando Norris as the two make their way through their last flying lap of Q3! It's close, red and orange fighting for that pole position for tomorrows race.

~Yes, that's right, and it seems Norris' teammate Klein is under threat to keep her position at P8 as they round the corner. The times are really close, that's for sure! She's fought her way into Q3, it'd be a shame if she finished any lower than P8.

*Oooh! That's gotta hurt for Red Bull's #1 Max Verstappen as he's replaced by Leclerc's fellow Ferrari racer Carlos Sainz for P3! They're getting closer now, and it looks like orange may come out on top as Norris fights his way back in front of Leclerc. What a race from the two teams!

*****

"P7, kid." Tommy's voice comes through the radio, "Good race, Cass. You'll get 'em tomorrow, I know it,"

"Thanks, Tom." I run my cool down lap, trying to cool down my mind at the same time as my car. As much as I was thrilled to make it into Q3, I can't help but feel a little disappointed in myself. Upgrading from Sauber to McLaren was a big move, and a fourth row start in the first race should be exciting.

So why am I so disappointed in a P7?

"What was the order?" I ask, trying to distract myself.

"Pole for Lando, P2 and 3 for Charles and Carlos, followed by Verstappen, Hamilton, Russell and yourself."

I sigh as I pull into the pitlane, slowing the car down as I roll toward the garage.

You could've done so much better, Cass. P7? Meanwhile, your teammate is achieving pole position and leaving you in the dust, again!

"Cass! Well done, hun," Georgia hugs me once I take my helmet and balaclava off. I smile, returning her hug as I pull my earpieces out.

P7.

"Yeah, thanks..." I say, unzipping my race suit and leaving it hanging around my waist. My result echoes through my head, distracting me from the current moment.

P7. P7. P7.

"Hey!" Georgia clicks her fingers in my face, gaining my attention again. I meet her knowing gaze, her eyebrows slightly raised and lips pursed.

"You're overthinking it, Cass. P7 isn't bad for your first qualis back in, and with a new team. If anything, it's fantastic! I'm sure you'll knock everyone out of the park with your podium finish tomorrow." She winks at me and gestures to the post-race interviewers outside.

Great.

Pulling my hair out of it's messy braid, I make my way toward the swarm of cameras and groups of interviewers.

"Cassie!" A young male reporter, who couldn't be much older than me, greets me with a smile and a shake of the hand. I mentally prepare myself for the rush of questions and subtle jabs at my self esteem.

"What a session today, how does it feel being in a new team like McLaren?"

I smile. At least it isn't a snide, hidden remark about my lack of results or a masked sexist comment about being the only female in Formula 1.

"It's amazing, McLaren and the team have been nothing but supportive and kind to me in this transition. Not exactly the result I wanted to give them, but hey, there's always tomorrow!" I reply, putting on my best media-trained smile and lighthearted chuckle.

I make my way through a couple interviews, all asking surprisingly neutral questions about my transition to McLaren or how it felt to be out on the track again. It's a relief, since answering those kind of questions isn't really in my mental capacity at the moment.

"So Cassie, do you think your rookie luck is gonna run dry this year? Or are you going to shock us all with better results than last season?"

Alas, there's always one. I choke down my scoff and force a smile.

"Of course I'm always aiming for better and better results, and with this new team of amazing trainers and mechanics behind me, I can't see why I wouldn't bring some serious competition to the grid this season." With an extra sweet smile and small wave, I turn my back on the interviewer and make my way back to the McLaren area.

*****

"That last reporter must have a thing against women, honestly," Tommy's voice hits me as I open the door to the lounge and I giggle, nodding exaggeratedly as I make my way to the couch next to Lando.

"Well done today, Lands," I offer, smiling slightly and plopping myself down on the chaise of the couch. I almost groan out loud, that's how comfortable it is. I could fall asleep right here, right now.

"I don't know what it is with reporters, but the thought of women in Formula 1 must twist their knickers in a knot or something," I say, closing my eyes as I sink into the soft cushions of the couch. I hear Tommy snort in agreement.

"Okay so, race tomorrow. Here's the plan..."

*****

The next hour is a blur of racing tactics, revising the track and making final adjustments to the car. With every mention of the race tomorrow, my heart races a little faster. I can feel the pressure I'm putting on myself increasing, the weight on my shoulders almost crippling by the end of our meeting.

"Right, I guess that's everything. Remember to rest up, you two. Big day tomorrow," Tommy dismisses Lando and I with his words of warning.

If I had a couch this comfortable in my house, sleep wouldn't be an issue at. all. I'm so tired I almost don't notice Lando didn't say anything back to me when I congratulated him.

Almost.

~~~
first chapterrrr !!

v excited to get more into the plot, so please bear with me😭

stay safe, olive<33