nineteen.

[cassie klein]

"This is bullshit. They believe an engineer over a fucking Formula 1 driver??" I say, exasperated, as I hold the phone to my ear.

"I know, Cass. I'm trying to sort it out, I really am." Georgia reassures me through the phone. I can hear her clicking and typing in the background, most likely getting on to every single person and manager on the grid to take this down.

Tommy did an interview with some journalists outside the garage. Can you guess what he fucking said?

He started talking about the practice, - initially - and about the car and the problems we experienced. Then he moved onto me. Onto my reputation. He hinted at how we most likely had sex, and how it most likely was great, and how it most likely wasn't the first fucking time.

Naturally, the press went bat-shit crazy over it. I'm the only woman in Formula 1; of course anything to do with my sex life becomes everyone's problem.

"Georgia, you know I didn't do it." My voice wavers. I'm terrified. I'm terrified to show my face, to make a statement, to do anything against him.

"I know, I know babe. I'm doing everything I can, I promise. I just need you to focus on your racing, okay?" Georgia says, tone gentle as she tries to calm me down.

"Okay." I whisper, trying to turn my attention back to the race tomorrow.

Qualifying is always stressful, with the starting position having a huge impact on the success of the grand prix.

I'm even more stressed because of this incident, because of the added focus I'll be receiving this weekend. All eyes will be on me, how I respond to this.

F1 Babes💃

Charles Leclerc: what the fuck
Charles Leclerc: who's this wanker

Daniel Ricciardo: i dunno but he's definitely getting fired

Charles Leclerc: are you okay cass???

Cassie Klein: im ok
Cassie Klein: just need some time, is all.

Daniel Ricciardo: im ordering room service for u<3

Cassie Klein: :)

*****

saturday, march 23.
australian gp - qualifying.

Q1
The entrance to Albert Park was as crazy as I imagined it, all cameras pointed at me. Every question I was asked had to do with the Tommy situation, and to every question I regurgitated the same rehearsed response Georgia told me to.

"Everything you've heard about this week is a serious stretch of the truth. I hope you all can see the truth in what I say, and take my word rather than his. This isn't really the time or place for that kind of comment, but I'm sure in time I'll fill everyone in," I repeat, putting on the same smile and wave as I leave the reporters.

Practice went by in an instant, everything feeling comfortable as I settle into the car and block out the nerves.

Tommy is nowhere to be found.

That's courtesy of Georgia, of course, who immediately got onto the superiors of McLaren and had him sacked from his job. He's replaced by a new engineer, named Henry, who's been nothing but amazing during the practice run earlier today.