thirty.

[cassie klein]

"You need to explain yourself, missy," Charles says as he plops onto the couch of my hotel room. I sigh, placing my purse and keys on the table as I watch him.

"What do you want to know, Charlie?" I pinch the bridge of my nose, trying to collect my thoughts after the night that I've had. It was amazing, I'm not denying that, but those mystery shots that Daniel and I had are seriously affecting my focus right now.

"Everything! How did you end up almost kissing him, Cass? I thought you guys made these rules to stick by so that you guys don't end up fucking again-"

"Charles!" I cut him off with my exasperated tone, a hand out in a 'stop' motion as I stare at him with wide eyes and raised eyebrows. He raises his hands in surrender, sitting back further into the couch.

I breathe out through my nose, pushing off of the table I was leaning on and heading to the kitchen to grab some water and an Advil for this pounding headache. As I do so, my phone buzzes on the table. Then it buzzes again. And again.

By the time I realise it's ringing Charles has already launched himself off of the couch and is staring at the screen. I cringe when he leans back a little and laughs.

"Speak of the devil, he's calling you Cass." He picks up my phone and moves to answer it.

"No Charles! Don't answer it," I run from the kitchen, using my hands to push off the counters separating us to try to get to him as quick as I can and put distance between himself and my phone.

"Why not?" He asks, taunting me by extending his arm upwards and out of my reach. I glare at him, reaching my arm up in the air and beckoning for him to put the phone in my hand. He moves as if he's going to give it back, bending his arm and-

"No, Charles-"

He swipes the screen to answer the call from Lando.

"Hi Lando, what's up?" He says in an overly excited tone, staring straight into my eyes as he smiles innocently.

"No, this is Cassie's number, she's just a bit busy so I picked up for her," My glare deepens at his comment, "Oh really? Wow, yeah I bet," I'm getting impatient so I stomp my feet lightly and change my tactic, instead opting for the puppy eyes option.

It doesn't work, because Charles just giggles at me and continues to talk to Lando on my phone.

"Oh yeah, of course I can- Oh look at that, she's here!" Charles mocks shock, raising his free arm up and pointing to me with raised eyebrows as if he's seeing me for the first time tonight. I roll my eyes. "I'll pass you onto her, yeah- bye Lando,"

I sheepishly take the phone in my hand and raise it to my ear, raising my middle finger to Charles as I walk away from him and into my bedroom.

"Hey Lando, sorry about Charles, he's...," I say, running a hand through my scalp as I try to find the right words to describe him.

"Drunk?" Lando says, his voice coming through the speaker and forcing a smile to creep onto my face.

"Yes, definitely very drunk." We both laugh.

It's quiet for a second before I decide to break the silence.

"So what's up? Why'd you call?" I ask, sitting on the edge of the hotel room bed and bending one of my legs up to untie my heels.

"Oh yeah, um so I may or may not have lost the key to my room and the reception is closed at this time, so..."

"You need somewhere to stay tonight?" I finish his sentence as I hear him laugh sheepishly.