twenty five.

[cassie klein]

The sky seems to echo the colours of the winning team as dusk settles over the city.

I stare in awe at the beauty of the sky as the car slows to a stop outside of the event.

"Ready?" Lando says from beside me in the driver's seat and I turn to find his eyes already on me. My lips tug into a small smile.

"Ready." I say. We both countdown from three at the same time, bracing ourselves against the door until we reach 'GO!' and thrust the doors of his McLaren open. Lando rushes over to my side of the car after passing the keys to the valet, holding his arm out for me to grab as we manoeuvre through the sea of cameras and flashing lights. I use my other arm to block the intense light as I blindly allow Lando to lead us inside.

We both breathe an exaggerated sigh of relief once we make it inside and the flashing stops and the yelling is replaced with the music from the party. We both look at each other, chests heaving and eyes wide. I'm the first to break into laughter as we both double over.

"Cassie!" Georgia's squeals, breaking my laughter with a bone-crushing hug.

"Reedy!" I yell back, trying to manoeuvre in her tight hold to escape. Luckily, she pulls away quickly.

"How much have you had to drink?" I ask, brows furrowing as she stumbles backward and grabs my arms for support.

She shakes her blonde head of hair and says, "Not enough. Y-you need some too!" She points a finger at my chest as I chuckle slightly. God, she's crazy.

"Come on!" She yells, turning determinedly on her heel and pulling me behind her. I turn my head over my shoulder to Lando, apologising to him with a weak smile and shrug of my shoulders.

He only crosses his arms and smirks, giving me a small nod of his head as I'm dragged away from him and onto the dance floor.

*****

I can feel the music vibrating through my body as I continue to jump and sing and move in the crowd of people.

The lights cast the room in a deep shade of blue and purple, flashing and changing as the crowd moves in the waves of light.

It's not until it feels like the balls of my feet are on fire and the contents of my stomach - hint, it's just alcohol - feel like they are about to eject themselves that I shuffle through the tight crowd toward the edge.

I need to get out of here, I think, having to take a moment to breathe and hold back the slight amount of vomit creeping up my throat. Once the room stops spinning and I feel some colour return to my face I B-line for the bright green exit sign straight ahead.

The fresh air washes over me in a wave of relief, cooling my cheeks and filling my lungs with something other than the smell of B.O. or alcohol.

My legs still feel shaky and my balance wobbly, so I brace a hand on the brick wall and move out of the way of the door. I slide further along the balcony, choosing to sit against the wall near the edge of the railing.

The view from here is breathtaking. The after party is held on the top floor of a skyscraper, making my escape area host to one of the most beautiful views of the city.

I try to admire it as much as I can, eyes drawn to the sparkling city lights in between fighting down the urge to hurl.

I'm almost startled off the edge of the building at the abrupt opening of the door. My heart drops to my ass as my whole body jolts in surprise, head snapping toward the source of the noise.