twenty two.

[cassie klein]

I spent the next few days in Melbourne with my family, looking at the sights and enjoying their company. It's so great to catch up properly, especially since my sister Emily managed to get time off her work to see me.

Arriving at the airport feels like a weight on my heart.

"We can turn around, actually," I say as Mum pulls into the short-stay parking. She chuckles, finding a free park and taking it immediately. I huff when she turns off the engine and looks back at me from the front seat.

"We'll miss you too, Cass. But you're going to do so well in Japan, my love." She smiles, reaching to rub my knee before opening her door and stepping outside.

"Come on Cass," Em says, nudging my shoulder with hers as she follows Mum's lead. I sigh before clambering outside.

The walk to the terminal feels too fast, each step too big and each stop to sign an autograph too quick.

Before I know it I'm in the international terminal, bag dropped and checked in, ready to say goodbye. I spot Lando and Georgia waiting on the other side of the check in desk, occasionally looking my way. They wave back when Mum, Dad and Em wave to them.

I turn to my family, trying to mask how sad I really am.

"Well, I guess I should go," I say, rocking on my heels slightly in attempt to delay the inevitable.

Em tackles me in a hug, followed quickly by mum and dad. I close my eyes and savour the last few moments with them before I leave again.

"I love you." I say, pulling back and grabbing the handle of my carry on. I smile weakly as they all respond before saying goodbye one by one.

Mum holds me tight, kissing my head and telling me to, "Be safe, okay?"

I nod as I move to Dad, who wraps his arms around me gently and squeezes tight before letting go. He ruffles the top of my hair, saying, "Race good, baby."

Em holds me the tightest. Her red hair waterfalls over her face as she rests her chin over my shoulder and squeezes my ribs.

"Bye Cass," She whispers, pulling back and smiling slightly. I smile back and squeeze her hand.

"Bye guys," I say, taking a few steps back toward Lando and Georgia. I wave, biting the inside of my cheek, as they turn around and head toward the doors.

I'm grateful for the sleeve on my hoodie as I wipe stray tears on them before Lando and Georgia can see.

Missing them is the worst.

*****

@cassieklein 45sec ago

The arrival in Tokyo felt like a blur, crowds forming as we exit the airport, all trying to get photos and autographs from us

The arrival in Tokyo felt like a blur, crowds forming as we exit the airport, all trying to get photos and autographs from us. Making it back to the hotel felt like a battle. Falling asleep, however, was not nearly as difficult.