twenty.

[cassie klein]

sunday, march 24.
australian grand prix.

My senses heighten as I feel the thrum of the engines around me.

The rhythmic humming echoes through my body as I narrow my mind, focusing on the sound of the cars and the task ahead of me.

Controlled turns.

One light.

Clean exits.

Two lights.

Full commitment.

Three lights.

Take skilful risks.

Four lights.

Climb the ranks.

Five lights.

Race hard.

The lights disappear and I step my foot hard on the throttle, ripping away from the starting position and past Stroll. I narrowly avoid Tsunoda in the first corner, squeezing in front of him for the second corner for 8th position.

I settle into this position for a while, comfortable to warm up the tires between Tsunoda and Lewis and conserve my tires.

*****

[commentators]

     ~What's this with Verstappen? Oh that's gotta hurt for Verstappen, a brake issue has sent him into the pits! I don't think we'll be seeing him out again today, so that's the end of the Australian Grand Prix for Redbull's Max Verstappen: out with a fiery brake!

     *It seems Carlos Sainz is taking advantage of this opportunity, now leading the race after Max's exit! Both Ferraris are absolutely dominating this race, but the McLarens seem close behind as Norris takes Perez's spot at P3!

     ~That's right, but let's not discount his teammate Cassie Klein, who's made up incredible ground from her pit, making it from P10 to P5! Some incredible racing going on out there from both McLarens.

     *You can see the whole crowd cheering that girl on, hoping for a podium finish for their fellow Australian. And look at this, as we speak she's creeping up on Sergio Perez, who seems to be giving Cassie absolutely no room to pass!

     ~Is she going to try to get past here? Perez is fighting back, not wanting to loose another place to a McLaren but- OH THROUGH SHE GOES, KLEIN SHUTS THE DOOR!

    *Perez is left in the dust as Cassie Klein narrowly misses the edge of the track and Perez's Red Bull as she makes up yet another position! He just couldn't compete with her fresher tires as she rips away from him along the straight.

     ~Norris has pitted, giving Klein and Perez a free pass as Klein enters podium territory! Norris has to be fast here, not wanting to loose too many positions as the race approaches these final laps!

     *Oooh, he barely makes it out in front of Stroll! Only a few cars to beat for his P3 back!

     ~He's made it back to P4, annihilating Perez with his fresh tires, as he stares down the back of his teammate Cassie Klein!

     *She's not going to give up this place, that's for sure - not at her home ground. I wonder if McLaren will ask her to step aside for her teammate?

     ~Nothing over the radio yet, and Klein is doing an incredible job keeping Norris at bay. Approaching turn 9 now, Norris with the DRS as he slips past Klein and into P3!