sixteen.

[cassie klein]

Remember how I said it would take a lot of coffee to get me to forgive him? I'm giving him a head start.

"Thank you so much," I thank the waitress who places our coffees in front of us. I stare excitedly at the beautiful liquid in front of me. Thank god for coffee.

"So," Lando speaks up, grabbing his cup and taking a sip, "I take it I'm still not forgiven yet?"

My face drops.

"What do you think?" I retort, taking a sip of my own coffee, the caffeine already having a positive impact on my mood.

"No?" His voice rises in pitch at the question. I stare at him, the silence confirming his suspicions. I expect him to go defensive and maybe even yell at me some more, but he doesn't. He simply nods and takes another sip.

Silence settles over us for a moment, but this time it's not so awkward.

"Can I ask you something?" I break the silence.

"Whole truth?" A smile plays on his lips at the question as I look up at him over the rim of my coffee cup.

"Whole truth." I bite back my own, placing the cup back on the table.

He nods, leaning back slightly and waiting for me to speak.

"Did you really mean what you said?" I almost whisper, lowering my gaze. The thought of what he said brings back the pit in my stomach, my tongue getting caught in my throat as I wait for his response. I have to know if he meant it if I'm going to try the whole forgiveness thing. 

"No," His voice tears my gaze back up to his, almost in shock.

So why did you say it? I think, trying to form those words in my mouth. My silence seems to speak for me because he speaks again.

"I don't really know why I said it. I guess that's something I need to work on - thinking before I speak."

I let his words sink in for a moment, nodding slightly to urge him to go on.

"I just get so defensive when I'm confronted. I know what I did wasn't right; I should've stayed the night. I should've stayed with you, I should've went with you to airport and I shouldn't have commented on that post. But I thought it would help, you know, with the whole media thing. I'm sorry, Cassie. I really am. I don't know how to make it up to you. But please let me try."

I nod again, looking back to his eyes to find them full of sincerity and apologies. I take a deep breath, trying to collect myself. I bite the inside of my cheek.

"You're doing alright so far, I guess." I try to joke, chuckling weakly as I wipe under my eyes, discarding any loose tears with the sleeve of my McLaren hoodie. He chuckles as well, taking another sip of his coffee.

"You said coffee would help, right?" He asks, furrowing his brows. I nod eagerly as I take another sip.

He raises an arm, beckoning the waitress over with a smile.

"Can we get another each, to go?"

*****

I hold the cup of coffee tightly in both hands as Lando parks at the film spot Georgia had chosen. I unbuckle my seatbelt, still holding my coffee tightly, and get out of the car.

"You ready?" I ask, a hint of playfulness in my tone. He looks at me, the same playfulness mirrored in his eyes as he raises his eyebrows, then winks.

We make our way toward the office, stopping occasionally to sign the odd paper or take a selfie. When we make it to the doors we're greeted by Georgia, holding the door open with her leg as she beckons us inside.