Chapter 2: Corruption

The four of them found an abandoned and broken-down building to take shelter.

"I need to ask you something. If you aren't an outlaw, why don't you get an ID chip? It's free," Rapi said, questioning the young man.

"You heard the horror stories of what happens to people with ID chips if they enter the Outer Rim," Y/n explained.

Anis grimaced, understanding what he was talking about. Outlaws would cut off the limb or kill the person to obtain the ID chip.

"Besides, I don't think the Ark will allow a noncitizen in," he said.

Everyone was silent.

"Do you... copy?" Rapi, Anis, and Marian heard in their comms.

"Ark control to surface. Do you copy? Rapi, Anis?"

"Communication... This is Rapi. Shifty, do you copy?"

"About time we got through," Shifty said.

"What's the situation on your end?" Shifty asked.

"It's not looking well. We don't have a commander, and Marian brought a noncitizen. They managed to save us," Rapi explained.

"Wait... Can I talk to this noncitizen?" Shifty asked.

"Yeah, I heard her."

The young man reached into his pocket, pulling out a strange phone.

"Do this and that..."

A hologram of a cute young girl appeared from the device

"Hello."

Shifty was slightly surprised to hear a young man's voice, "Oh, umm... Hi. Can I ask you a few questions?"

"You can."

"Did you witness what happened to the transport ship?" Shifty asked.

"I didn't see anything, but I did hear it," he paused, collecting his thoughts.

"After the explosion, Raptures swarmed the area I was in, and I went into hiding... I found something strange."

"Strange?" The hologram Shifty tilted her head.