Chapter 4: Power Station

The young man returned to Andersen's office, where he went to retrieve his items. Andersen handed him a few things like a commlinks, another phone, an ID card, and a pistol. The Deputy Chief told Y/n he would return to the surface to investigate a power station.

Elsewhere, Anis was complaining about returning to the surface, "I can't believe we have to go back up to the surface to investigate a power station."

Rapi looked around, "This looks to be the entire team."

"We go through hell for them, and we're sent straight back out without a word of thanks!" Anis complained.

Anis groaned, "Great... We are going to have a horrible commander."

"Anis," Rapi reprimanded her.

"My feelings are hurt," someone said.

"Gah!" Anis whipped around and saw Y/n.

Even though he became a commander today, he wasn't wearing the military uniform.

"Are you the assigned commander?" Rapi asked.

"Yeah, why?"

Rapi answered with a surprised look, "What?! That's unusual..."

"What's wrong?"

"They never assign the same commanders to a Nikke squad multiple times. This policy was implemented after a disturbing trend emerged the more time commanders spent with the same squads," Rapi explained.

Rapi continued, "It usually results in infighting, and the team falls apart. That's why they've enforced this rule. You have commanders executing Nikkes on the spot or vice versa."

"I bet they're trying to get rid of us," Anis said.

"They want to send us up to the surface and have us all killed without anyone noticing."

"Why would they do something like that?" Shifty's voice came from the commlinks.

"Gah! Where did you come from?" Anis complained.

"I heard a new mission, so I came to assist," Shifty said.

"Besides, if they wanted you dead, you'd be dead already. I'm surprised that I'm alive," Y/n said.

"If it's an order, I will follow it. But, Commander, are you okay with all this?" Rapi asked.

"I believe in you," Y/n said.

"Hey, now! Where'd all that confidence come from all of a sudden?" Anis teased.

"What? Don't trust me?" Y/n raised an eyebrow.

"We trust you, Commander. For now, at least..." Anis said.

"Someone's coming," Rapi said.

A short girl dressed in a white and blue sailor outfit appeared with a steady smile. She had a white shotgun slung over her left shoulder.

"Hello, my name is Neon," she introduced herself.

"A Nikke from Elysion?" Rapi questioned.

"My boss wanted me to take part in the investigation. She wanted me to assist you and report your activities to her like a spy!" Neon excitedly said.

Anis sighed before mentally facepalming as she looked at Neon with bewilderment, 'She's not even trying to hide it!'

"Okay, it's nice to meet you, Neon," Y/n smiled slightly.

"It's nice to meet you, too, Commander!" Neon beamed.

"Are you sure this isn't a problem down the line?" Anis questioned, looking at this with doubtful expression.