Chapter 5

Some elementary kids screamed at the top of their voices, "This year instead of football we will play ice and water!"

On hearing this, the high schoolers yelled in unison, "This year will be no different than the last!" leading to an uproar of laughter from the middle schoolers. 

Once the middle schoolers had calmed down, Principal Henrik took the mic up in a swift motion. He cleared his throat and began, "See, we're not changing the game. The Football Finale will happen this year, but not in the same way as we had it all these gone years. Something-or rather some people, some teams-will be....different this year."

A middle schooler stood up and yelled, "This year the middle school team will qualify for the finale!"

He raised an optimistic finger at the blond-haired boy. "Okay, now we're getting somewhere."

Everyone was now more excited than ever. Could it be? Never in the history of HIS had even one of the teams qualified for the finale. Neither the high school team, nor middle school; nor the elementary team. Even so, could this year be their year? The anticipation for that one wish prompted everyone to join in. 

The teachers-who watched the crowd from the sidelines- could feel their kids excitement. In the end, all eyes turned to the middle schoolers, for Principal Henrik had called one of them onto the stage. Everyone realised that this was the same blond-haired boy who had earlier answered. The seventh grader sprinted to the stage and swiped the mic from the Principal.  "All three teams will play in the finale!" 

"That's right!" exclaimed Principal Henrik followed by a thundering applause from the crowd. "All our three teams will be playing in the Football Finale against Ellfield International School for the chance to put our school on the football map!"

There was another round of applause, this time louder than before. "Not only that, but the finale will also be the first match to take place at the newly built Hillfield Sports Stadium in two to three weeks time!" 

Principal Henrik continued, his voice reflecting deep satisfaction and happiness. "We will be transporting all our students, irrespective of whether you are part of the team or not, to the stadium on the tournament day."

After receiving another round of milder applause, the jolly man announced, "We will be holding a school fete next week to raise funds for this jumbo-sized field trip. Two to three high schoolers will run each stall and the school will use all the proceeds to fund the event."

It was at that moment, that Luna-among the crowd of screaming tenth graders-had a light bulb moment. "This is exactly what we need." she said to herself. "This will bring Sophia and Jia together perfectly."

As she worked out a plan in her head, Principal Henrik said, "The high schoolers interested in running the fete can give their names to their class teachers. At least twenty students must sign up for the fete from each division of grade nine to grade twelve. 

"Lastly, council members will be doing the anchoring at the stadium. We will discuss more about it in today's student council meeting. I wish all the three teams and their coaches the very best of luck. Train well!"

As everyone walked and chatted back to class, Sophia saw Luna's head popping out of the crowd in the far distance. She sprinted over to her. She was dying to talk over everything with her only friend in class. But Sophia skidded to a stop on seeing Jia chatting with Luna as the two walked to 10-D.

"I'll tell her later." she said to herself.

The next period was English. Jia had gone for a meeting and so Luna told Sophia to come sit with her.