Chapter 2

Luna took a step back. In her mind, she thought that Jia and Sophia would get along just fine; but now that plan was out the window. As Luna thought of how to better the situation, Sophia walked into the restroom. "Luna, I was looking for you."

Luna smiled and put an arm around Jia. "Hey Sophia! I was just chatting with Jia." Jia pushed away Luna's arm and straightened her blazer.

"Hi Jia!" said Sophia, waving a short 'Hi'.  Jia rolled her eyes at her and turned to Luna.

Luna, I won't be there for the next two periods. I have to prepare for the kindergarten graduation party this evening."

Luna folded her arms and raised an eyebrow at her. As soon as Sophia stepped into a stall, Jia remarked, "She is trouble and we both know that."

She smirked. "Oh yeah, the girl who couldn't even hurt a fly even if she wanted to is trouble now?" 

"Yes." said Jia with a blunt tone in her voice.

Right then, a group of girls walked into the restroom and crowded around the sinks, pushing Jia and Luna to where the hand dryers were kept.

"Look, lunch's almost over, I have to go."

"Alright."

She pulled Luna closer and whispered, "Do not go near her."

"Yeah right." she muttered under her breath.

                                                                                ***************

A few days later, the 10-D kids headed to the biology lab for a lab activity. Unlike Mrs Nailah, Mrs Fawdy-their biology teacher-wasn't that forceful on intermingling between the groups. So, that meant that each of the groups could have anywhere between two to five members. It also meant that Sophia, being one of three 'outcasts', did almost all the activities alone.

"Ma'am," said Luna raising her hand. "I don't have a lab partner."

"Well, where is your lab partner?" asked Mrs Fawdy walking over to Luna's bench. 

"Jia's gone for a student council meeting."

"Very well." said Mrs Fawdy. "Sophia, if you're fine with it, you can pair up with Luna."

Sophia poked a finger at her chest at the sudden mention of her name. "Me?"

"Yes-that is if your fine with it."

Sophia glanced across the table at Luna.

"Come on," said Luna. "you're an outcast, I'm an outcast-we can make this work."

Sophia glanced with uncertain, first at Luna and then at Mrs Fawdy. "Okay." 

Once everyone had settled down, Mrs Fawdy explained that today they will be dissecting cockroaches and studying their internal structures. As she showed the dissection on a smart board, Sophia whispered, "I heard you and Jia in the washroom today."

"What!" whisper-shouted Luna.

"I'm sorry-I didn't mean to." she apologised. "If Jia doesn't like me, then maybe we shouldn't be friends."

"Don't mind her-I'll deal with her." asserted Luna. "For now, you focus on the dissection-I'm not the best at this sort of stuff."

After Mrs Fawdy had shown the first step, she instructed the students to copy her. Luna cringed.

"What's the matter?" asked Sophia, puzzled.

She gulped. "Bugs and insects creep me out."

Sophia chuckled. But her chuckle was short lived. She could see that Luna wasn't in the mood for jokes. She placed her hand on top of Luna's. "We all have fears. It's only human."