Hell on the Weekend

"There you are!" said Mrs Carson as she held the door open to let in her husband and daughters. "I've been waiting for an hour!"

While Jia and her dad hung their coats on the hooks, Alana jumped all around the foyer trying to get her mother's attention.

Mrs Carson grabbed Alana, hugging her tight. "Alana, you can tell me all about your choir practise while you have your dinner, okay?" Alana nodded and ran off to the dining room.

Jia took off her boots and left them on the floor. Just as she was about to go to the living room, her mother held her hand. "Jia, can I have a hug?"

"Not really in the mood, Mum." She twisted her hand out of her mother's grip and shuffled her feet to the dining room. Away from Mum and Dad.

Mrs Carson picked up the boots that Jia had left on the floor. "She was really looking forward to that date....too bad it was cancelled."

"It's not just that Emily," said Mr Carson. "She got into a fight with Luna as well-or so she said in the car."

"A fight?" Mrs Carson put a hand on her heart. "Whatever for?"

"Didn't say. But by the looks of it, it must've been pretty bad."

                                                    ***************************

Alana peeped into the two sisters' bedroom, surprised to see Jia curled up in the long window curtain. "Jia, what are you doing?"

Not a word snuck past her pursed lips; for fear of losing control over her tongue.

"Can't sleep?" asked Alana, turning on the lights. 

Her fingers tightened their grip on the curtain.

"Do you want to watch Unicorn Friends Part II with me?"

"Leave me alone, Alana!"

"I've got it all set up. Just need to-"

Jia threw-the first thing that was in her reach-a teddy bear. The brown bear holding a heart flew across the room and hit Alana, right on her nose.

"Mommy! Daddy!" yelled the nine-year-old at the top of her voice. "Jia hit my face!"

Mr Carson, burst into the room, closely followed by Mrs Carson. "Alana!"

"Liar!" yelled Jia.  The two parents took one look at Jia and then glanced at each other with a slight nod. Jia unwound herself from the curtain and stood up. "I didn't hit her!"

"Not true!" said Alana, rubbing her nose.

"I threw a stupid bear at your face. That's completely different from hitting you!"

"Jia, apologise to Alana." Her mother's voice was firm and austere. 

"Fine you liar." Jia crossed her arms. "I'm sorry I threw a bear at your face."

"Jia!" exclaimed Mrs Carson. She held Alana close to herself. "What's the matter with you?"

"Alright, settle down everyone." said her father, determined to not have another argument. "Emily, get Alana some ice for her nose. And Jia, sit down on your bed. We're gonna have a little talk."

Mrs Carson nodded and left the room with Alana. Mr Carson sat beside Jia on the bed and put an arm around her. As soon as he did that, tears which she had held back for so long coursed down her cheeks.

""Sorry, dad." She looked down at her tear sodden pyjamas. "I didn't mean to hurt Alana."

"It's all good." said her father smiling. "You know how your sister is, she's a total hyperbolic." He let out a short laugh. "Now, tell me what's bothering you."

As soon as Jia heard that, she sat up straight. "I'm fine."

"Don't try to fool me, Jia. I might not be able to fix your-um-problem. But I can definitely help."

"I already told you what happened in the car, didn't I?" She looked up at her father with big open eyes.

"Ah, but that's what happened." He adjusted his glasses and continued. "I want to know what's bothering you. Besides, I know there is still something that you're keeping from us."

Her forehead wrinkled and her hands began to shake. She didn't want to tell her parents that she tried to hurt Sophia. She just-just-wanted to be alone.

"Jia, I can see you're upset. And me and Mum want to help. But we can't unless you tell me what's bothering you."

Jia removed herself from her dad's grip and went to the window. She placed a finger against the cold surface of the window, right on top of the North Star. It felt.....soul-crushing.

Without realising that she was saying her thoughts out loud, she pressed her finger harder against the pane. "Out here in Hillfield, when we don't even see the moon much, the North Star's the only source of night light. 

"I mean, there are streetlights. And flashlights on our phones. But the North Star's the only reliable thing. The one light that will always be there to guide us." 

She paused, her tired mind buckling against the immense weight of her emotions. 

Guilt, misbelief and most of all, dread for the future. 

"She was my light." she murmured, her forehead at an angle with the windowpane. "My best friend."

Suddenly remembering that her Dad was there, she blurted out everything- from seeing Luna and Jake holding each other to ending her friendship with Luna. As she recollected the uneventful night, her eyes continued to remain fixed on the North Star. 

Hesitating, she turned around, startled to see both her parents, and not just Dad.

Jia watched as they exchanged glances.

"Say something." Her voice was filled to the brim with agony. "Scream at me! Punish me-because this silence is much worse."

"Jia-I-we never thought you would do something like this." said her dad, finding the words at last.

"Which is why we just have one thing to tell you." added her mother. She got up and put an arm around her daughter. Every muscle in her body tensed up. She braced herself for the punishment.

"You are old enough to know that what you did was wrong." said Mum, looking down at her. "Which means, you're the one who should take the initiative to make things right again."

"But remember," added in Dad, "you and you alone have to take the initiative. Even so, to fix everything and bring it back to normal, you'll need help-a lot of help."

"Jia, I know you don't feel any good about Luna right now." said her mother, holding Jia tight to herself. "But just remember one thing, all friends fight, that's natural. Betray-less natural. But survive everything that life throws at them; that's what extraordinary friendships-friendships like your's and Luna's-are all about."

Jia stood glaring at the ground in deep thought. She looked up at her mother. "What if our friendship isn't extraordinary?"

Mrs Carson looked down at Jia with kind eyes, instantly empathizing with her. She then looked at her husband, her lost eyes searching his.

Mr Carson got up from the bed and walked over to Jia. He patted Jia. "I know it's hard, but you have a point."

She looked up at him. "What?"

"We'll support whatever decision you make regarding Luna." he said. "But remember, sometimes, bad relationships fall apart so that better and stronger ones can come up."

With a shrug, her dad kissed her lightly on the forehead, signalling the end of the conversation. "Good night." kissed her mum before turning off the lights.

It was just Jia now. Jia and the dark. Twilight. Midnight. Whatever you wanted to call it.

With a heavy sigh, she climbed into bed, the softness of the blanket comforting her as she pulled it up to her chin. Alone in the pensive blackness, tears welled up in her eyes. She had a harsh reality to face.