Chapter 6

Sophia watched as Luna stood up. She looked quite pleased with herself for some reason, thought Sophia. The CPs, except for Ivy, clapped while the rest of the class remained silent.

"The four of you listen closely," said Ms Beeksavor. "I have reserved the computer lab for all four of you up to lunch."

"That would give you about two hours to complete your assignments." She took a glance at her watch. "You may leave now."

Sophia, Luna, Matt and Derick pushed in the rickety wooden chairs and headed out of the class.

As the four walked to the computer lab, Sophia bit her lip.

"Something wrong?" asked Luna.

"You said that using the school's garden hose to play water fight was fine, didn't you?"

Luna furrowed her eyebrows. "Yeah, I did........But why bring it up now? It happened a week ago."

Her voice now trembled. "I was afraid we'd be in trouble for it. And here we are now."

Luna stopped. "What the heck are you talking about-wait-is this some kind of joke?"

"No." said Sophia. "This isn't a joke. This is serious."

"Sophia, none of us are in trouble. Or at least, being chosen to plan the half time program at the football finale isn't 'trouble' to me. Kinda exciting actually."

"What?" blurted out Sophia.

"Well, clearly your mind wasn't in the class when she said that." said Luna, laughing. "Too bad though, that woman can really build suspense."

"So we're not in trouble?" asked Sophia, a tear of relief rolling down her cheeks.

Luna held Sophia's hand. "You're brave. Really, you are."

Neither Luna nor Sophia talked the rest of the way. The peace and quiet reminded Luna of how much she had changed. If this same thing had happened two years ago while she was still a CP, she would have bullied Sophia till the never-ending end of time. But now, after Jia-and now, Sophia-came into her life, she felt different. And better. It was as if she was living a whole new life. And, dealing with a whole lot of new challenges.

The four of them arrived at the lab and peered inside. The lab was empty except for the lab assistant-a stout woman in her early twenties-who was scrolling through her phone and blowing gum. 

The stout woman looked up from her phone at the four. "Can I help you?"

"Yeah." said Matt. "Ms Beeksavor told us four to come here. We're doing the half time quiz for the-"

"Yeah, yeah, stop your yapping!" Matt and Derick stared at each other. The lab assistant got up from her desk and walked towards the four. "Which grade are you all from?"

"10-D." answer Luna.

"All of you?"

"Yep." said Derick.

"Okay then, did she explain all the details of what you have to do? Like the time limit, the presentation and stuff."

"Ms Beeksavor put us in pairs and said we have to make our quizzes using Presentation Master and then email them to her." said Luna.

"Each pair has to include fifteen questions in their quiz." added in Matt. "Nothing more and nothing less."

"Good. Seems like you kids have some idea." She blew a bubble. "One more thing, for the half time show, it's not just you four who are presenting-she must've already told you this."

Sophia turned to Luna, who was nodding.

"Grade Six, Seven, Five and...oh yeah, Grade 10. These are the grades presenting, and there are two programs from each group. So, please rehearse well before the big day." The four nodded. "I've told this to the other groups as well. This is the first time HIS has been selected for the finale, so we have to make a good impression."