Chapter 10

The girls chatted to the foyer, only to find the main door locked. "Hold on, I'll go get the key."

As Sophia waited, she saw Luna's father coming down the stairs. "You must be Luna's friend. I'm Mr Adair." He shook hands with Sophia. "Pleasure to meet you. Won't you stay for dinner?"

"Maybe another time, sir. I must get going now, I'm just waiting for Luna to-"

"Got the key." said Luna appearing behind her dad-startling both him and Sophia.

Mr Adair watched as Sophia and Luna stepped out of the house. Once the two reached the gate's buckle, Luna unlocked it. Just as Sophia was about to leave, she asked "Luna, can you walk me home? Please?"

"Sure." She turned back to her dad. "Dad, I'll be back in fifteen."

The tall and well-built man placed an arm on his daughter's shoulder. "Hold on a minute. Did you take your pills?"

"Yeah-why?"

Mr Adair continued, "Then there's no way you're going out of the house. Stay here and help mum get dinner ready. I'll drop er-"

"Sophia."

"Right, I'll drop Sophia at her home safe and sound. Luna, bring my jacket."

Mr Adair put on his jacket and headed out. Luna watched as the two crossed the road and went around the curb. Luna said in a low voice to herself "Phase two is all set."

                                                                               ***************

"Lovely evening isn't it, Sophia?"

Sophia nodded. She couldn't think about the weather right now, she was more concerned about Luna. And her pills. She knew that telling him was the right thing to do, but there are times to do the right thing and times to not do anything, isn't there? She weighed her options, finally deciding to tell him about it. He had to know, she reasoned in her head. But, discretely. After all she can't lose her only real friend.

At last, she took in a deep breath. But instead of clearing her mind, the deep breath let in a million questions into her conscience. Her conscience now began questioned her if what she was about to do was the 'right thing'.

"Mr Adair, why does Luna have to have those pistachio-coloured pills every night?"

"Ah," Mr Adair looked up at the star-dotted sky. "Those are sleeping pills. They help her sleep well at night."

"So, how many hours of sleep does each tablet give?" In the back of her mind, she told her conscience to 'shut up'. No, she didn't have to time to answer her conscience's one million questions.

"Actually, each tablet can sustain a teen her age the entire night. But each person is different so the dosage can vary slightly."

"Doesn't it bother you that she's having three tablets instead of one and you're only finding about it now?" Mr Adair laughed as the two turned around a curb. Sophia looked at him with a puzzled face. By the time they reached Staffright Street-Sophia's neighbourhood-Mr Adair's laughter died down.

"Dear, can I first just say that you are a great friend of Luna's. There's only one other friend of hers I can think of that's cared as much about her as you do."

Sophia didn't know what to say, so she nodded. That was the first time someone had compared her to Jia. And in a good way.

Once they crossed the road, Mr Adair continued in a serious tone. "I can see you care about her so much. So, there's something you need to know."

Sophia nodded, noticing the change in the well-built man's expression.

"What more is she hiding from me?" said Sophia under her breath.

"Luna didn't always take those pills. When Lex-Luna's brother-was here, he always helped Luna keep her stress under control. But, when he left for college three years ago, she's been struggling a lot. And Luna, being who she is, didn't admit and still won't admit that she needs our help. When the stress started affecting her sleep patterns, her doctor gave her the sleeping pills."

As they approached Sophia's house, she pointed to it. "Very well, let's get you home." said Mr Adair. "You must be starving."

Mr Adair watched Sophia open the gates. Once she had opened the gates and entered in, he turned back, about to leave.

"Thank you for walking me home, Mr Adair." The man turned around. "I just want to ask you one more thing, if it's alright with you?"

"Go ahead."

"Is there anything I can do to help Luna live happily without those pills?" Mr Adair placed an arm on Sophia's shoulder; his smile widening. "The only thing she needs are friends like you. I strongly believe that once you and Jia establish yourselves in her life, she'll be the best version of herself."

Sophia stared at the ground, deep in thought.

"Is there anything else, Sophia?"

Sophia snapped back to reality. "No-no-thank you, Mr Adair." He smiled at the young girl's soft and innocent voice.

"See you sometime then." said Sophia as she locked the gate behind her and headed inside.

"Not a moment too soon." said Jake as Sophia closed the door behind her. "Wash your hands, it's dinner time."

Sophia washed her hands and sat down with her family to pray before the meal. She closed her eyes and prayed, "Dear God, please, please let me and Jia become friends during the fete. Please show me what I have to do to let Luna live peacefully once again."

Once dinner was over, Sophia and Jake helped Laura clear the table.

As Sophia passed a glass to Jake, she asked, "Do you know Jia?"

"Be more specific-I know tons of girls named Jia."

"I'm talking about the Jia in my class."

"Yeah, I guess because she's the Head Girl of your grade and all." said Jake. "Why?"

"On a completely unrelated note, how do you feel about a date?"

Jake let out a short laugh. "Depends on me and depends on the girl." said Jake taking the glasses to the kitchen.

Sophia turned around, her eyebrows furrowed. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Are you new to this family, Soph?" asked her brother, turning around. "Mum and Dad would kill me if I asked them for permission to go on a date!"

"Less talking, more clearing!" said Laura from the kitchen. Sophia sighed and took the dirty plates to the kitchen. Laura told her to put the plates inside the dishwasher. Laura leaned back on the counter, watching Sophia adjusting the time on the dishwasher while Jake placed the dirty cups in the sink.

"So, who wants to do on a date?"

"Laura-mum and dad can hear you!" said Jake. "Lower the volume, will you?"

"I wanted Jake to go on a date." began Sophia. She clasped her hands with an apologetic tone in her voice. "But I know it's a stupid idea-just forget it."

"Date with whom?" asked Laura, closing the kitchen door.

"With a girl in my class-Jia." said Sophia apologetically. "You won't tell Mum and Dad, will you?"