A Huge, Huge Mess

All eyes in the cafe watched as Jia, her fists and teeth clenched, walked towards the drinks counter. Towards the three of them. Her eyes narrowed themselves down as she got closer. Closer to Luna. All that could be heard now was the soft thud of Jia's heels on the wooden boards and occasional anxious slurps in the background.

She was now standing right in front of Luna. "How-why would you do that?" Her voice quivered with frustration as she struggled to get the right words out of her mouth.

On impulse, Luna let out a deep breath. She wanted to speak, to say something. Anything. But every time her lips parted, all that came out was a hot breath. For the first time in years, she felt fear. Not knowing what to say or do or even think; Luna froze to the spot.

Sophia instantly empathized with Luna. She knew that Luna wasn't in the moment. She could see right through her head. Flashbacks. Flashbacks reined her in tight, stiffening every muscle and every joint. A single drop of tear rolled down Sophia's cheek. 

"Jia, this was my idea." Sophia began, swallowing the urge to cry. "I was one who suggested-"

In a swift motion, Jia turned to her. "All this was your idea?"

"I was the one who said-"

"Wait a sec," Jia turned her head to Luna. "You told me that Sophia bought the tickets for me, you and Jake. You didn't say that she would be at the concert too...."

"Jia, I...." began Luna.

Sophia felt a sharp nudge at her back. She turned around, only to realise that it was Jake. "Slow careful steps." he whispered. "To the kitchen and out the back door."

"Save it sister." Jia let out a short huff. She continued; her voice now echoing with deep anger. "Sophia put you up to this, didn't she? The two of you were playing me all along. You brought me here just so that you could humiliate me. And in front of Jake too!"

"You're not getting it, let me explain." said Luna.

She ignored Luna and narrowed her eyes on Sophia, who was now at the other end of the cafe.

She smirked. "Thought you could escape, did you?"

Sophia gulped.

Jia walked with slow steps towards her. Sophia continued taking small steps back. At any cost, she had to reach the kitchen.

"You know, for a girl who barely talks, you sure can manipulate people."

"I can't do that," answered Sophia, her voice trembling with fear. She glanced behind her, feeling the coldness of the wooden door against her back; it was the door to the cafe kitchen. Her fingers gripped the door handle. It was locked. Her grip tightened as reality dawned upon her. There was nowhere to run.

"Come on, give yourself some credit." said Jia with a sly smile, her eyes twitching. "I mean, turning the Head Girl's best friend against her, you've put on a pretty good show...." She trailed off and a silence fell upon the room.

Jake had noticed that as Jia cornered Sophia, Jia's hand moved over the outer edge of the tables. Jake nudged Luna hard as he saw her pick up a glass from one of the tables and hold it at waist length.

"Too bad this is the last one." With that, Jia lifted the glass high above her head, her muscles tensing as she prepared to strike. With a swift motion, she brought her arm down forcefully, the glass cutting through the air with a sharp sound. Sophia crouched down and closed her eyes-she knew what was going to happen.

The fifteen-year-old next heard the sound of glass shattering on the ground. Not daring to open her eyes, she rubbed her hand over her legs, feeling for wounds.