Ice Cream and Magic

Hermione closed her eyes, savoring the creamy taste of the ice cream as the treat melted on her tongue.

"Magical!" Sybil cried out.

Hermione opened her eyes, tilting her head and looking at her younger sister. She watched Sybil take delight in the treat she'd selected from Floreaan Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour, her red cape removed and hung over her chair.

"Papa, taste!"

Regulus was startled, not having started his own treat, looking far too lost in thought for his own good, but Sybil plopped the treat into his mouth when he opened his mouth. "Can I try yours now? And then Hermione and I can try each other, right?"

"Uh?" Regulus' gray eyes blinked, his normal affirmative response lost, and then he looked at his eldest. "If she wants."

"Of course!" Hermione said. "And I'd like to try Papa's as well." She watched Sybil nod her head.

Lily nodded her head. "You certainly have two sweet girls, Regulus. Sirius doesn't know what he's missing."

"Yes, well," Regulus said, frowning, pushing his treat over so Hermione might taste. He didn't finish whatever thought rattled around in his head.

"You're right."

Hermione watched her father stiffen at what her grandfather said, glancing over at him warily while she savored the taste of her father's ice creme, planning on doing the same with Sybil's next. She didn't close her eyes, instead observing him as he looked away.

"But it's not just the girls he's missing out on. He's also missing out on having a relationship with you."

"And you?" Regulus asked.

"I'm sorry for making you think I didn't want a relationship with Hermione back then because that wasn't the case."

Regulus' mouth opened, his teeth showing slightly as he continued frowning, then his mouth closed. "Can we? I don't know. Not talk about this in front of the girls. I don't want—hmm."

"Anything slipping that they're not ready for?" Orion nodded his head. "Then I hope you don't mind us meeting up sometime, just the two of us. Goodness knows I need some feeling regarding what the girls are up to, although..." Orion glanced over at Hermione, grinning. "Top marks?"

"Well, yes?' Hermione frowned. She then sighed. "School is..."

"Too easy!" Sybil replied, then tilted her head. "Except for maybe that."

"That?"

"Anything scary!"

"Ah."

"But dad keeps scary things away," Sybil said, continuing to eat her ice creme, then stopping, realizing she'd forgotten to share, and switched hers with Hermione's.

"Something tells me she is going to finish mine," Hermione thought, holding back a laugh.

"I'm glad both of you like books, though."

"Most definitely!" Sybil said. "I suspect I'll have to do more reading on my own, though, since Hermione is leaving, and that leaves Papa."

"I could come and read. Like I did when your father was younger."

"What?" Regulus turned his head. "I don't remember that."

Orion let out a huff. "That's because the moment you could read independently, you didn't need me anymore." He then let out a laugh. "But perhaps I should have insisted we kept that up and read something together.