Train Compartment

"Can we join you?"

Hermione looked up from her book at the somewhat nervous-looking witch, the lack of colored trim indicating the girl was a fellow first year, her red hair braided into two not-so-neat plaits as a leaf sticking out of her hair. Standing right behind the girl was another without any colored trim, a slightly chubby girl with curly brown hair pulled into pigtails.

"Sure," Hermione said, her voice warm and welcoming as she petted Crookshanks's head. "My name is Hermione Granger. It's nice to meet you."

"Mildred Hubble," the other girl said. "I'm Muggleborn, by the way."

"Mildred," the other girl said, shaking her head. "You shouldn't announce that so candidly."

Mildred turned, opening her mouth only for Hermione to speak first. "Really? It's that much of a trouble?"

Mildred turned, her eyes bright. "Oh! You're a Muggleborn as well, then?"

"Perhaps," Hermione said, repeating the not-lie.

The so-far-unnamed girl pushed her glasses up on her nose. "Perhaps? That's a tad odd, no?"

"Perhaps," Hermione said, looking back down at her book and continuing to read.

"I'm Maud Spellbody," the other girl said, taking a seat.

"Maud's been telling me all about the houses," Mildred said. "But I'm excited to see which one I'm sorted in. Don't know which one I'd like."

"Hufflepuff," Maud said. "I mean to say Mum's family's been sorted there for years, and my Dad's as well."

Hermione smiled and faltered, saying nothing.

"You?" Mildred said, hands in their lap.

"Slytherin."

—silence—

"Mildred, maybe..."

"Wait. Maud told me that's the last house I should be sorted into," Mildred said. "Any Muggleborn, for that matter."

"Because all witches and wizards from that house are evil?" Hermione said. "I find that conclusion logically impossible, completely improbable, so I will prove them wrong."

"Ah," Maud said, pushing up her glasses. "Is that a half-kneezle?"

"Yes. Isn't he gorgeous?" Hermione said.

"He's ugly," Mildred said.

Hermione looked up, noticing Mildred grinning ear to ear, and laughed. "Yes. That's what makes him gorgeous."

"You two are weird," Maud said, shaking her head.

"Something wrong with..."

"Not at all!" Mildred said. "That's why we became friends."

"We became friends because I couldn't let you wander around the train on your own, bumbling about," Maud said. "I just couldn't."

"Nice," Hermione said, a warm feeling settling in her chest.

"I guess if you get sorted into Slytherin, I should try for it as well?" Mildred said.

"Mildred!" Maud shook her head. "We can still be friends even if she's sorted into Slytherin."

"But won't her plan of attack be much..."

The door slid open, and Hermione looked up, planning on greeting the next person, excited at the prospect of making more friends, only for the corner of her mouth to twitch slightly.