Platform Nine and Three-Quarters

Nothing magical existed about King's Cross Station from what Hermione saw, leaving her disappointed at first. Her mouth pushed together as she followed her father through the station, her hands holding Crookshank's wicker carrier as her father pulled her trunk along.

Then—

"Watch."

Hermione frowned, watching as her father said, only for—

"Professor Black!"

Hermione turned her head, catching sight of a red-haired young man and a bunch of other redheads nearby. The young man held his chin in the air, a shiny red and gold pin on his chest, but he already wore his school robes, the trim of his robes colored red. She turned to look at her father, watching his mouth twist slightly, a hand rubbing the back of his neck. "Percy Weasley. I see, and I am not surprised that you've made perfect this year."

"Is this a Muggleborn you're escorting to the Hogwarts Express?" the young man asked.

Hermione watched her father open his mouth to respond and turned her head to look at the young man. "Perhaps I am?"

"Sure," the red-haired woman who followed her redheaded gaggle said. "Perhaps you are. What other connection could you possibly have with the girl, Reggie dear."

Hermione's eyes blinked, her head tilting slightly, before turning to look at her father, who—

He pointed at the cat. "Isn't Crookshanks a wonderfully, delightfully fluffy cat?"

The woman turned. "He looks apt to shed all over the place, but I imagine Walburga Black would be in a rightful state of hysteria. I suspect Orion and Lucretia would be delighted; anyways..." The woman cleared her throat. "I'm Molly Weasley, dear."

"Cousin-by-marriage," her father yelled out.

A boy around Hermione's age rolled his eyes. "Not that she needs to know that."

"Ron, dear. Hermione here will be in the same year as you."

"She's a girl," the boy muttered.

"And that's two strikes," Hermione thought, taking a deep breath.

"Be nice," another red-headed boy said.

"What George said."

"We could show her to the train," Percy said. "And you can get on your way to the school, sir."

Hermione's eyes blinked. She glanced over at her father, Professor Black, and noticed his pale skin took on a slightly green sheen as he worried about his lip nervously. She took a deep breath and said, "I'll be fine."

"You sure?"

"Mrs. Weasley will look after me, right?"

"Yes, yes, she will." Her father took a deep breath, letting go of the handle of her trunk while Percy stepped over and helped Hermione attach Crookshank's wicker carrier to the trunk. Regulus took a deep breath and said not-so-cheerfully, "I'll see you later." He nodded his head. "Molly."

"Reggie."

He disappeared then, looking nervously back while she gave him a thumbs up, smiling. Molly placed her hands on her shoulders. "Alright. Percy will show you, my dear."

And then, the oldest of the redheads stepped through the pillar between the nine and ten platforms. Hermione felt the corners of her mouth twist. "Finally. Something magical."

"What do you think?"

"Genious. Numbering to indicate where the platform is located." She turned to look at Molly. "Does this mean there are other platforms?"