Gone Wrong

"I'm alright. Really," Hermione said.

She didn't, of course, tell Neville about the divorce.

"Not that I don't want to, but he stresses enough as it is, and I've got enough to worry about with Ethel and Pansy looking for ways to make my life miserable. At least Tracey Davis is keeping mum regarding the situation, at least until..."

She dreaded the arrival of the letters, each one a potential bearer of more bad news, a reminder of the crumbling world she was desperately trying to hold together.

"Why isn't he getting any Howlers," Ethel complained. "I thought someone would have complained to his mother by now, but I'm surprised his mother has not sent him any either."

"She still doesn't know," Esme whispered. "She's been a right pain avoiding me this week, and it's the weekend..."

Hermione's eyes blinked, looking at the envelope, then she smiled.

"Something's made your day, hasn't it?"

Hermione lifted the envelope, smiling. "Sybil."

Only Ethel stood up, snatching the letter. "What is my sister doing writing you a letter?"

"Is she seriously..." Tracey said as Draco watched, glaring daggers Ethel's way while Neville looked horrified.

Ethel tore the envelope open, frowned at a piece of paper, and moved it to the other side. "Let's see here. Looking forward to..." Her eyes blinked, then she scrunched up the paper, glaring at Esme. "Why didn't you tell me Mother and Sybil were visiting? And they're visiting today?"

"Ethel, that was Hermione's letter," Esme said."

"I don't care!"

Esme held out her hand, motioning for Ethel to hand the letter to her. "Who's been avoiding me?"

"That..."

"Hand it before the professors or a prefect get involved," Esme said.

Ethel handed it over, and Esme looked it over as Ethel stormed back to her seat. Hermione held out her hand. "Can I?"

"Can I hold onto this? For safekeeping for now?" Esme turned to look at Ethel. "I don't trust someone right now, and this is rather precious."

"I, sure," Hermione said. She opened her mouth to say, "I trust you," but didn't, her mouth closing. "Do I? She told Papa about that. And Sybil's being taken away." Hermione sighed, poking at her food.

"What's Sybil like?" Tracey asked.

"Like..." Hermione started.

"Adorable," Draco said.

Hermione stared, mouth open.

"Well, she is. She's my adorable second cousin," Draco said.

"She's like her Papa," Esme said. "Or so I've heard."

"But she looks like Esme and Sybil," Hermione added. "Though more, I don't know. Always like a little princess."

"No wonder," Tracey said. "Again, sorry."

"Sorry?" Neville asked. "What..."

"Don't worry about it," Draco muttered, glancing away. "You'll find out soon enough."

"Anyways, the professors have arranged, as you know, for us to have an empty classroom to meet in, but they should be arriving around noon so that we might be taking lunch in the classroom instead of here," Esme said. She glanced over at Ethel. "And I think that will cause more questions than Ethel may want to answer."