Follow the Mad Crookshanks

Hermione hurried along, following after Crookshanks, past Mildred and Maud.

"Hermione!" Mildred called out. "Where are you going?"

"She seems busy," Mildred said.

"I know, but..."

Hermione continued along, thinking she'd passed them by, but then—

"Sorry, but you've kind of been ignoring us all week."

"She has," Maud said. "She's been spending time with her Slytherin friends?"

"That's not," Hermione said, almost turning her head. "I really need to follow Crookshanks."

"Then we'll help," Mildred said, "And then you can hang out with us?"

"That," Hermione said, shaking her head. It's..."

She didn't look either in the eye. Maud frowned. "Wait. Something happened, didn't it?"

"I told you. Ethel's likely been bullying her."

"Not Ethel," Hermione said. "Sybil." She sighed. "She was supposed to visit this weekend, but..."

"Oh! She got lost, and Crookshanks is helping you find her?"

"Yes," Hermione said, turning her head. "Something like..." Her eyes blinked, her head turning. "Shoot. I've lost him. It might not have worked, though."

"Then we need to find Crookshanks," Mildred said, grabbing her arm and taking off randomly.

"Mildred. I don't think," Maud let out a sigh. "I don't think that is how any of this works."

They continued along, her Uncle Sirius' words stuck in Hermione's head, making her feel ill. "How can anyone be that cruel?" She took a deep breath. "Sorry for ignoring you. I've been having family trouble."

"Oh," Maud said. And then came a more emphatic. "Oh!"

"Then maybe Malfoy?"

"What?" Hermione shook her head. "No.

"But he saw, yes! I remember hearing him say, and he was talking to Davis and Neville, but he was looking for you, and maybe..."

"Great," Hermione said, letting out a sigh.

"Now that I think of it," Maud said. "They might be looking for you?"

"But the castle is big, so," Mildred said, rounding a corner in time for—

Hermione felt Mildred let go of her arm, finding herself crashing down. She heard a familiar sound of irritation, and she shook her head. "Malfoy."

"Well, there you are," Draco muttered, dusting himself off, having crashed on top of Neville. He hoisted himself up, and Tracey helped Neville up. "I've been looking for you."

"Why ever for?"

"Because that monster is here, and I thought..."

"You mean Sirius?" Hermione sighed. "I'm aware..."

"He's here as well?" Draco said. "I mean her."

"Oh," Hermione sighed. "My stepmother."

"She seemed right furious," Draco said.

"Sybil's gone missing, but..." Mildred placed a hand on her head and pointed. "Look! There goes Crookshanks! Too the Owlery!"

Hermione pushed herself off the ground and took off after the cat while Tracey asked, "Wait? Why are we chasing the cat instead of looking for Sybil?"