A new home

The hues of the sunset painted the sky in vibrant oranges and purples, creating a serene backdrop for their escape

The hues of the sunset painted the sky in vibrant oranges and purples, creating a serene backdrop for their escape. The fading sunlight highlighted the contours of the sea, and as Jack and Maria stepped into the waiting boat, a sense of calm washed over them. The tranquil beauty of the sunset mirrored the promise of a new beginning as they rowed away, leaving the troubles of Beckett and the shadowed past behind them. 

They rowed away from the looming vessel, hearts pounding with both fear and excitement. The distant glow of the sinking ship cast an eerie glow on the water, marking their departure from the clutches of Beckett and the darkness of their past. The wind carried whispers of newfound freedom, and as they sailed towards the island, the uncertain future now held the promise of endless possibilities.

As they put some distance between themselves and the ships, Maria and Jack witnessed the heartbreaking moment when their cherished vessel disappeared beneath the waves. Jack closed his weary eyes, reclining and placing his head on Maria's lap, while she gently rowed them towards the distant island.

Maria's gaze shifted toward the ship, noticing Beckett's presence. A twinge of fear gripped her heart at the thought of him pursuing them. However, to her astonishment, he chose not to intervene. The ship altered its course, sailing away from them and back to its origin.

The island welcomed them swiftly, guided by the ones who sought refuge in its tranquil embrace, in pursuit of freedom. The elderly woman, to whom Maria had entrusted a small child during their escape, stepped forward to assist Maria in aiding Jack from the small boat. The day's trials had taken a toll on him, and he had succumbed to a wearied slumber during the journey.

Gently, Maria brushed her fingers against his face, whispering, "Wake up, Jackie! We're safe now." The elderly woman, ever supportive, joined Maria in the effort to help Jack disembark. Together, they carefully guided the young man onto the sandy beach, the rhythmic waves playfully splashing at their feet, leaving them tinged with the touch of salty water.

As they reached the shore, two men came forward, offering their assistance in pulling the small boat out of the water. The vessel was then carefully placed on the sand, where it could dry and find refuge from the lapping waves.

Jack found refuge in the cool shade beneath a palm tree, his back leaned against the sturdy trunk. Closing his eyes, he allowed the soothing embrace of the tree to envelop him while Maria engaged in conversation with the women around. Requesting fresh water, Maria expressed her gratitude when one of the women returned with a partially broken coconut filled with fresh water.

With the coconut shell in her hands, Maria knelt in front of Jack, saying, "Come on, you need to drink something, and then I need to clean your wounds before they get infected." Jack, weary and in pain, lacked the strength to argue, even though he knew she also needed care. After a sip of the coconut water, he passed it to her, prompting, "Now you!"

Quietly, she responded, "I will eat and drink after," her stubborn resolve shining through despite the evident weariness in her eyes. A man approached, trailed by three small children, each balancing two coconut shells brimming with water. "This water is fresh. We found a small spring in the forest not far from here. I can fetch more if you need," the man offered, passing his two shells to Maria. As the children stood a few steps behind him, their weariness and hunger were evident.