F I V E

MY hands were holding my car keys, my phone, and a water bottle as I walked downstairs. My brown hair was in a ponytail and I was wearing a matching set.

It was a white tube top with matching white pants. I had done my makeup too, so I was fully ready to go out.

My mom was by the front door, getting her things situated since she had work. She usually went to the office to work, but sometimes she would go over her clients house to make them more comfortable.

Her dirty blonde hair was in a ponytail that was sleek. She wore a black pants suit and her makeup was done. Looking up, her blue eyes settled on me while she watched me.

"Where are you going?"

"To Laken's house," I answered her, stepping off the last step and walking towards her. "You said I could."

"When?"

"Last week when I asked you."

She seemed to remember, growing silent as she thought for a moment. "Who's all going?"

"Ace, KT, Weston, Easton, Devin, and Salem." I listed the names off my fingertips, still standing by her as I waited to leave.

She shook her head at me, ponytail swinging. "I haven't met all of them."

"You said yes already though."

"I just don't know them, Layla."

"Are you serious right now?"

"I'm very serious right now. I actually have work and I don't have time for it."

I looked behind me, seeing my Dad who had been downstairs the whole time. He was fixing the cuffs to his suit since he was about to head to the courtroom for work.

Feeling the attention on him, he looked up, brown eyes meeting my own. It was known that he didn't have selective hearing, so I knew for a fact that he had heard what happened.

He held my gaze for a long second before looking at his wife. "Melanie, she already had a commitment. You're the main person who enforces fulfilling commitments."

"She didn't even tell me who all was going at first, so no." Her answer was final as she shook her head, hand turning the doorknob to leave the house.

"Mom-" I started, taking a step forward as I grabbed her arm.

"I don't have time for this, Layla." She shrugged me off. "I need to make it to my clients house."

"So I can't go?"

"No."

I sighed, walking away from the front door as I headed towards the staircase. My dad didn't say anything, knowing that whatever Melanie says goes.

He watched me silently as I went upstairs.

Walking into my room, I tossed my keys and my water bottle on the bed. I lifted my phone up as I unlocked it, immediately going to my messages as I started texting Asra.

I had to tell her that I wasn't going anymore since I wasn't allowed to.

My mom never made sense. When I was allowed to go out, she never let me.

I basically had no freedom unless I lied and snuck out. I was tired of doing that.

I turned my phone off, walking over to my dresser as I placed it on top. Pulling one of the drawers open, I found a burgundy t shirt. Looking at the writing on the front, it was a USC Trojans shirt.

I took off the tube top I was wearing, tossing it in my laundry hamper. Lifting the t shirt up, I put it on, pulling my brown hair out afterwards.

I closed the drawer and pulled open another, seeing the pajama shorts I owned. Picking out the brandy melville boxers, I took off my pants, tossing them in the laundry hamper too.