F I F T E E N

"FINALLY free. How does it feel?"

We were sitting around the outdoor tables for lunch like we had always done. It was the first week that KT and Ace had been back since being suspended.

Since the constant laughing and arguing had been postponed at the table, it was clear that we had missed them.

It was boring without the two of them.

"Feels like I wanna get suspended again so I can get a break from school." Kade replied, using his fork to pick up fruit from his fruit cup. "That week went by fast."

"Unfortunately, I needed to be back at school." Asra pressed her lips together, disappointed in the words that were coming out of her own mouth. "I never thought having a 28 in algebra was possible."

"Sometimes I feel bad for our parents," Kade looked over at his sister. "I just know that they feel ashamed for how incredibly stupid you are."

"I bet they feel ashamed that they raised a fifteen year old slut."

"Being attractive and nonchalant isn't being a slut." Kade nodded his head. "Of course you wouldn't know that because you're stupid."

"I'm surprised to say that I missed hearing the sound of you two argue everyday." Easton spoke up from beside me while he leaned his forearms against the lunch table. His black hair was dark and shiny, going so well against his tanned, football skin.

"I never knew it was possible to argue for twenty minutes straight." I agreed with him.

"Because you have no siblings." Kade answered my statement even though I wasn't looking for an answer. "Blessed as it is since your parents have enough trouble with you already."

I pressed my lips together before responding. "If we weren't cousins, I wouldn't like you at all."

"No one is home at my house tonight." Easton mentioned. "Caroline and Ruben are celebrating their twenty-one year marriage."

"What about Wild West?" Kade smiled, joking with ease.

"Softball practice," Easton lifted his shoulders. "Sorry, bud."

"It's fine." Kade shrugged too. "They always come running back sooner or later."

***

The kitchen that the Sandoval's had was already large in size. It was open and spacious, a sweet homey emanation that held you close.

That was only ruined when someone had brought alcohol over and everyone was drinking.

I never had a problem with people drinking. I just felt like it ruined hangouts when we could easily do without.

Uno cards were dealt out to everyone who surrounded the island in the kitchen. Snacks were all over the table. A cold plate of rocky road was cut up into pieces to eat, vodka gummy bears were in a bowl, and pretzels and popcorn littered the island.

There wasn't really a plan for tonight. We never really had one when we were together.

That's how it always seemed to be when broke teens hung out.

I was sitting on one of the barstools at the kitchen island with my forearms resting against the cold counter. I hadn't been paying attention to the uno game or even watching it really.

I had only been looking at Easton ever since I drove over here.

He was leaned against one of the counters, reorganizing the cards in his hand. His black hair was soft and he wore the dark red USC shirt that we had wordlessly altered between each other.