Apologies and Afterthoughts

Natsu's POV:

Yesterday was the longest day of his life. Happy and Lucy should be back by now... he hoped. He jumped out of bed looking in the mirror. Almost ready, he thought putting on his attire and scruffing up his hair, now he was ready to go!

The picnic stuff was all still okay, Mira said it would be good to eat anyway. Would he invite Happy along? It depends how serious the conversation seemed when he arrived. Lucy might not want to talk to him at all, he has to prepare himself for that. But she loved him, right? Her words.

He was so lost in thought he hadn't even realised he'd followed her scent all the way to her house, Lucy Heartfilia. So she is back. Maybe he should meet her at the guild, not barge into her home. He was smart sometimes!

Carrying on his quick pace he sprinted straight through the guild doors, picking a spot on a corner table and merging into it, out of sight for now.

Lucy's POV:

She'd stayed up a decent amount of the night after Happy fell asleep on her bed, locked in her bathroom managing to translate maybe the first words that come out of the book. It seemed to be spells as such, descriptions of resurrection, it was all confusing. She'd have to read more to start understanding it, but it took a while especially with two translations. And then she would need to rid of the paper she put the first translations onto, she couldn't have anyone else deciphering this. She had hidden all the papers and END book back into the magic hiding box, and then again into her bathroom ceiling panel.

Finally feeling accomplished though she'd snuck back into bed with Happy a few hours later, now it's morning and she is still the first awake. She giggled at the cute sleeping cat, how does he always choose the middle of the bed, he's so small! Laughing to herself she got a long shower before starting to dress. She decided to peer out the window to check the weather for choosing clothes.

She peaked out of one corner in time to spot a set of pink hair staring up at her apartment.

"Natsu." She spoke low and quietly. Was he going to come up here? She hasn't decided what to say yet? Oh and she's half naked!!

She turned back to look at Happy quickly before turning back towards the window, watching the head of pink hair basically sprint away. She had to admit it hurt, this distance between them, but she would have to get used to it. Usually he'd have jumped straight up practically dragging her to the guild, or sneakily stayed over with his best friend.

She got dressed and brushed her hair almost ready to go. "Happy wake up, it's time to head to the guild." She shook him awake slowly. Cute groggy eyes blinked up at her, a little yawn escaping him.

"Morning Luce." He smiled, "I'm ready when you are" he added. I guess he didn't need to get ready haha forgot about that.

Clipping the belt around her waist, and putting on her shoes they started their usual stroll towards the guild.

Heading through the doors she has a quick glance around... no Natsu? Weird. She walked up to Mira at the bar, just wanting a glass of juice.

"Hey Mira, can I get some juice?"

Natsu's POV:

He watched her from the corner too nervous about how to start the conversation. Maybe just let her be for a short period of time, he was pretty hidden here.

"Hey Mira, can I get some juice?" He overheard he speak.

"Yes of course, tell me all about your mission." Mira asked back.

He listened to the whole conversation, from the train to the discovery of her new powers. Oh he definitely wanted a sparring match now! He needs to be forgiven first though. As he was about to stand, he watched Lisanna sprint towards his table.

"Natsuuuuu." She shouted, grabbing the attention of most of the guild, well that's his hiding spot gone. He watched only Lucy, but after meeting his eyes she looked down and then quickly turn back towards the bar.

"Hey Lis, I was just about to go do something are you okay?"

"Yeah I just..." "Great I'll see you later then" he cut her off heading straight towards the blonde haired mage at the bar. He's making his move now and being evident on who he wants.

"Luc..""Natsu" Lucy spun around cutting him off. "Sorry we took the mission without you, but all went well. Thought I'd save some money for you though, we are good friends after all and I already had enough to cover my rent." She finished, with the fakest smile plastered across her face. Friends still, time to change that.

"Oh haha it's okay Lucy." He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "Actually I wanted to talk to you"

"Oh sorry Natsu I was just about to go to... the market, yeah with Juvia. JUVIA!" She replied calling out for the blue haired woman intently watching Gray.

"But you just got here Lucy, it'll only take a minute I promise."

"Maybe later Natsu." She ran off grasping Juvia by the arm and practically crashing through the doors.

Mira blinked at him, she knew what had gone down, but that was one of the most awkward encounters ever.

"Hey midnight picnics are still fun Natsu, just make sure she wraps up warm." Mira smiled at him.

Nodding he sprinted back to his house, grabbing the basket and making his way back towards Lucy's. He would wait for her inside, she can't run away from her own house. He just hoped the Lucy kick wouldn't be too hard.

Time skip
Lucy's POV:

Juvia helped carry the bags up the stairs as they entered Lucy's apartment, "thanks again Juvi and sorry for dragging you on the random adventure." She beamed at her friend who was becoming closer to her by the day.

"Juvia enjoyed herself also, we should do it again Lucy-san" Juvia spoke in third person, she didn't call her love rival either that was a surprise.

Putting the bags down in the apartment the girls turned the corner to be met with Natsu Dragneel.
"AHHHHHH" the girls screamed "you scared me a Natsu" she scolded.

"Juvia is going to head home now, I'll see you guys tomorrow." Juvia was definitely avoiding the awkward situation.

She was telling Juvia all about everything that went down on the shopping trip today. She did kind of have to explain to Juvia the reason she'd been dragged out shopping.

That left the dragon slayer and celestial wizard alone in her apartment. After Juvia had left, the room fell into silence.

"Lucy, I know you've been avoiding me, I also know it's all my fault..." Natsu began.

"No Natsu it's okay, I shouldn't have avoided you because I didn't get the answer I wanted." She cut him off.

Natsu sighed looking down. "That's not it Lucy, either way I was in the wrong for how I spoke to you."

"It's okay Natsu I forgive you"

"Please Luce let me finish, I saw you with Cana and presumed the confession came from you being drunk." She was about to chip in but Natsu shook his head and continued. "I know you hadn't been, Cana shouted at me haha."

He stood up and closed the space between them, she looked up into his onyx eyes so very close above her.

"But it's because I love you Lucy Heartfilia, I felt like I was being teased by the idea of you. I was so happy and angry at myself for hearing your confession was truthful." Natsu loved her back, she blushed a deep hue of red.

"Again Lucy I'm so so" she did cut him off this time, but with her lips as she closed the distance between them fully.

'Finally' they both thought.

Natsu smiled cheerfully at her, grabbing a basket and running with her out the apartment. They had a night to remember under the stars, finally in each other's embrace. She told stories of her new powers and the mission she had been on. Finally, they got to enjoy Mira's picnic food and have a beautiful first date.