The Job

Natsu's POV:

"Why don't you go back inside and drink with Cana?" That's all he could hear in his head. He was too harsh, he just loved Lucy so much. Happy must've been angry with him because he didn't come home, he definitely made sure Lucy got home safe after drinking.

I guess I'll see if they're awake for the job, and up for it. If she remembers I'll apologise. She hadn't asked to get on my back like she usually does, so maybe she wasn't extremely drunk yet.

He stepped out of his and Happy's home heading towards the centre of Magnolia. He was excited for an adventure to get his mind off things, just forget what's happened. He should really just ask her out soon though, this situation is too tense for him. It feels as though they've been together for ages just without kissing, but he doesn't know how she views it.

He stood outside Lucy's but it was too quiet, it also didn't smell like she was inside, had he come too late? If so she'd gone to the guild early to say she drank.

Jumping up to her window ledge and looking through the glass he could tell the apartment was empty. But just to make sure he lifted up her window and stepped inside.

It was eerily silent, no Lucy and no Happy. He could tell the lil furball had been here though. Observing his surroundings he just mooched around the apartment, definitely not in... hey what's this box?

He found a blue and gold beautifully designed box, sat next to his old friend Michelle. Michelle was like a sister to Lucy. This box must be special to get this shelf privileges.

He glanced through the glass frame to find a key. A gold key, a broken... key! A BROKEN KEY! who?

He took a closer look at the engravings, Aquarius. Lucy's favourite and closest spirit, powerful, and had been around for almost all Lucy's life. In a way Aquarius was one of Lucy's last reminders of her mother. Yet here she was broken in a box. You can break keys? Can she still summon her? What was going on? Where was Lucy? And why hadn't she told him! He had too many questions. She'd had to have known a while to get a nice box for the key, but he'd never heard her mention breaking keys before. This could be bad, Lucy may have been devastated and he had no idea.

All he knew was he had to find Lucy, he felt even worse for how he treated her last night. As of late he'd been all presumptuous, as if he'd been the only one to lose in the battle of Tartaros with Igneel. Yet Wendy, Sting, Rogue and Gajeel would never see their dragons again either. Something was wrong with master Makarov, and now with Aquarius. He desperately missed Igneel, but he shouldn't be driving people away, he needed Lucy right now. Which may be why her drunken outburst had caused such a reaction.

He sprinted to the guild, he wasn't sure why he needed to be there so fast, he just couldn't stand it the empty apartment any longer. However, Cana glared at him as soon as the doors opened, well shit.

"Dragneel" shit shit shit, Cana didn't even have any alcohol.

"Why don't you go back inside and drink with Cana, eh?" He heard the sentence again, sounding even worse from someone else.

"I know it was harsh, I just, she told me what I wanted to hear and didn't mean it." Natsu pleaded desperately for Cana to understand.

"Didn't mean it, she's talked about that moment for MONTHS! How stupid are you!" Cana was infuriated with him, Lucy had talked about it for months? A glimmer of hope shot across his face until he remembered he'd turned her down.

"Why did she do it whilst drunk at a party though, surely there were better and more understanding circumstances?" He questioned.

"Drunk? Where did you get that idea? Lucy hadn't drank a drop all night." Cana irked, Lucy was sober? But the stuttering, the redness. That means she MEANT IT, all of it. Again he recounted denying her. FUCK. Where was she? He needed to make this right.