Chapter 17

Harry's Perspective:
Did he really mean that? "What do you think, Malfoy? I feel utterly worthless and afraid of the future. How will I ever make something of myself again?" "Potter, just because you can't move your legs anymore doesn't mean your life is doomed to failure." "But what if it is?" I looked down. Malfoy gazed at me intently. "You just need to approach it differently now," he replied. I nodded to him. "What have you been doing for the past few years?" He seemed surprised. "After serving my time in Azkaban, I applied to be an Auror. Then I traveled abroad with Blaise and Chester, and now I'm here."

Draco's Perspective:
"How was it in Azkaban?" Potter's gaze met mine. I thought back to the time filled with fear and loneliness. Nothing I hadn't known before. "I'm sorry for mocking your situation with the Dementors earlier." I said no more on the subject and silence filled the room. "I should go now." I stood up and made my way to the hallway.
Harry followed me. "Take care of yourself, Potter, or I'll have to do it."

I Disapparated and appeared a few seconds later outside the gates of Malfoy Manor. The garden lay like a carpet behind me as I opened the door. Memories flooded back immediately. No matter where I went, no matter where I looked, I saw them. Voldemort, the Death Eaters, and... my parents. I didn't know where they were now. Somewhere submerged with new names, they lived their lives without me.

What would have become of me if I had grown up somewhere else with different parents? Would I finally have become a better person? I shook my head to dispel the thoughts. Suddenly, I heard rustling. I reached for my wand and looked around attentively.

I relaxed when I saw the small pointed ears. For a moment, I thought it was Dobby, but it was just one of the remaining house-elves who didn't want to leave. "Good evening, Master." I nodded back. I truly wondered what had happened to him. Is he dead? Does he live with others? I don't know. He was my only friend when I was a child. I often played with him because my parents didn't. I wiped a tear from my cheek.

I tried to find peace all evening, but I couldn't. The memories this house brought with it overwhelmed me like an avalanche. It was as if thousands of voices in my head were talking to me. I heard Granger's chilling scream and Bellatrix teaching me the Unforgivable Curses. Her laughter echoed in my mind, and I saw her grin in front of my eyes. I saw Nagini kill the woman, and I saw my father. He stood next me and talked. In the next moment, I was sitting in my room trying to carve away the Dark Mark. I collapsed on the floor and began to scream. Tears running down my cheeks. More pictures, more voices, more memories. I felt like I was dying.

I fled to the fireplace and flooed to Blaise. "Fuck man, what happened?!" He and Chester quickly came up to me. Chester gave me a cup of tea. "You can sleep on the sofa if you want to." Blaise offered. "Thanks, man..." Chester left us alone for a moment, and Blaise sat beside me. "Okay man, what's going on?" My best friend looked at me. I let out a laugh. "I've become so weak." "Draco, just because you couldn't handle your traumatic memories doesn't that mean you're weak. You've been through a lot of shit already, you can be proud of you, bro."