2. CIVIL WAR

EDITED 9/4/24

EDITED 9/4/24

KATRINA

"What have I done?"

The Phantom glances up at the burning building- a feeling of heartbreak filling her. Wanda.

1 hour before.

Wanda sits across from Katrina at the small coffee shop, stirring sugar into her drink. "All right, what do you see?" Steves voice comes through. "Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target." She glances up at Wanda, impressed with how professional she sounds as she glances around.

"There's an ATM in the south corner, which means . . ."

"Cameras." The witch cuts in, understanding what he was thinking. "Both cross streets are one way." Katrina takes a sip of her own warm drink. "So, compromised escape routes." 

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?" She glances over at the car mentioned, it was a cute little red one. " Yeah, the red one? It's cute" Wanda responds- matching Kat's thought.

" It's also bulletproof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us." Katrina  glances over two tables to her left, where Natasha sat, a pair of sunglasses over her eyes as she surveyed the area. " You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" She nudges the other with her foot. "Sorry, the both of us can move things with our minds." Wanda corrects herself with a small smile on her lips.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature."

Katrina rolls her eyes. "Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" She chuckles at Sams voice as he speaks up from his own spot up on a nearby rooftop. "Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?"

"Eyes on target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him." The Phantom straighten up in her seat, sensing something. What? she didn't know, but something.

" If he sees us coming that won't be a problem. He kind of hates us." Sam cuts in just as a large garbage truck drives by pushing its way through traffic, with no regard to pedestrians. "Sam, see that garbage truck? Tag it."

They wait for Sam to respond. "That truck's loaded for max weight. And the driver's armed." Katrina  look at Wanda with a look, standing from the table she grabs her wrist and the two make their way in the direction the truck had moved. 

She watches as the truck slams its way into the front gate of some sort of lab. Soldiers in black armor emerge from the trucks, firing their rifles around the courtyard. Four soldiers fire gas canisters into the building. Soldiers wearing gas masks enter the building, she could hear gunfire from inside as they make their way around.

With sounds of struggle over the comms, Steves voice comes through "Body armor, AR-15's. I make seven hostiles."

"I make 5." Sam calls flying above them. The two witches fly over the rooftop and into the courtyard, Wanda blocking fire with her powers. She takes control of one soldier and lifts him upward. Katrina grabs another in a similar way and throw im towards a truck. "Four."

"Three!" She grunts knocking the soldier out. Sam, Steve, Wanda and Kstrina gather. "Rumlow's on the third floor." Sam calls, looking down at the screen on his wirst gazing through the camera of Redwing. 

"Wanda just like we practiced." Seve steps back, a red mist encasing him and sending him up and through the window. "What about the gas?" Wanda asks as she moves her hands. 

"I got it."

Katrina responds, feeling the energy course through her as she use her powers to remove the gas as she could, Wanda quickly coming to help after helping Steve. "Rumlow has a biological weapon." Steve breathes through the comms. Steve and Sam disperse- leaving Wanda and Katrina to take care of a few fleeing scientists.

"Its ok." The woung woman helps one of the woman out of the gates. "Kat, lets go." She looks over to Wanda as she runs up to her. Katrina nods; following her towards the loud commotion coming from a couple streets away. 

They arrive just in time to see Rumlow- now without his mask- activate his bomb vest. Wanda keeps the blast contained around Rumlow who grimaces in agony. She lifts him into the air before she loses control, and the explosion finally blossoms, devastating entire floors of a nearby office building.

Kartina glance up at the building. Without meaning to she picks up a stray thought from nearby.

"What have I done?"

She glances up at the burning building- a feeling of heartbreak filling her. Wanda. IKatrina rushes over wrapping her arms around the youngers shoulders as she sobs into Katrinas neck. She looks back up at the building.

"Oh my . . .  Sam . . . We need . . . Fire and Rescue . . . on the south side of the building. We gotta get up there." 

Enjoy