4. CIVIL WAR

KATRINA

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred."

The witch peeks into Wandas room, spying her on the corner of her bed watching the news. "Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil. Not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent, is no victory at all.

"What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff and Katrina Dimitrov have to operate in Nigeri -"

Katrina switch the screen off with a twitch of her finger. "It's my fault."

"That's not true." She negates, stepping into the room. "Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific." She sinks into the bed next to her. "Wanda, what happened last month- is not your fault." 

Katrina fiddles with the rings on her fingers. "You're still new with your abilities, I- I've had these for a lot longer... and I didn't even do anything." She rotates on the bed to face Wanda. "You didn't hesitate."

She reaches over grabbing her hand. "You just reacted. And yes it didn't work out- but you tried." Katrina tightens her hold. "We're going to lose people in this job- this life." She tilts her head to catch Wanda eyes.

"We are going to lose people, and we can't forget about them. But we need to remember from our mistakes and learn." As Katrina opens hermouth to add something; Vison materializes through the wall next to the open door. 

"Vis! We talked about this." Wanda repremands, causing a smile to grow on Katrinas lips. "Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that . . ." He gesures to the door sheepishly. "Captain Rogers wished me to let you know Mr. Stark was arriving." 

"Thank you. We'll be right down." The bulgarian smile over at the synthazoid. " I'll . . . use the door. Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest."

"Who?" 

Vis turns to look at them, "The secretary of State." Katrina scrunches her face. "As in, Thaddeus Ross?" He nods, leaving.

Katrina turns back to Wanda with a smile. "Well, come one." She offers her a hand. Wanda grips her fingers as they walk towards the meeting room.

Stepping into the room Katrina smother a grimace at the older man standing at the head of the rounded table. She pulls Wanda into a seat closest to the door. Wanda ends up inbetween Vis and the witch, unfortunatly with Katrina being closest to the secretary. 

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word "vigilantes"." Katrina glance around the room, feeling the sense of annoyance.