Chapter 16: Mistakes

Angie's POV

I pulled my phone from Mom. "Tell me, Angie. Did Jonathan call you?" She asked as I looked at the floor, unable to answer. "Yes, he did." I turned around as soon as I heard Nick's voice. "Listen, I could explain. Angie was crying in her room and I heard it. Then, I asked her what happened. So, that's how I knew about you and your husband's divorce." He said. "Angie, is that true?" Mom asked. I just nodded. I told Mom what Dad said,

FLASHBACK STARTS

My phone rang all of a sudden. I picked it up and went to the corner. 

THE CALL

Angie: Hello?

Jonathon: Hello, Angie.

Angie: confused May I know who's speaking?

Jonathon: Your father.

Angie: gasps You're my father?

Jonathon: Yes, I am. Now, listen carefully, Angie.

Angie: Why should I?

Jonathon: cuts her off Come to the park near your living house at midnight. Don't tell anyone, okay? Or else...

Angie: Or else what? gulps

Jonathon: Or else I'll kidnap you! And I won't hesitate to! Get it?!

Angie: sobs in fear Yes, I get it.

Jonathon: hangs up the call

After a few minutes, I started crying and I ran upstairs to hide my sobs.

FLASHBACK ENDS

Both Nick and Mom were shocked at my explanation. "He would kidnap you if you don't go to the park by midnight?! What kind of a father does that?!" Nick said, looking tensed up. I started crying, not knowing my next move in that game. "It's okay, honey. Don't cry. I didn't know Jonathon would threaten his daughter like this." Mom said, her eyes slowly starting to tear up. Nick began to think. "How about if I go with Angie, Mom? Would that work?" Nick asked my mother. She nodded as she added, "That would work, Nick. Plus, I know I could count on you." Nick smiled. "Then, we wait till midnight. Should we tell Howie?" Nick asked her again. Mom nodded as Nick went out of the room and called Howard, who was playing with the boys downstairs. 

Nick's POV

I went downstairs to call him. "Howie, your mother has got something to say. Mind following me?" Curiously, he followed me upstairs. "What is this all about Nick?" Howie asked. "Just follow. Later, Mom will tell you." I told him back, making sure that there were no further inquiries from Howie. We walked to Angie's room to find both of them sniffling.

Howie's POV

I saw Mom and Angie crying. I looked crossly at Nick. I grabbed him by the shirt. "What do you think you are doing, Nick?! Hurting my family?!" I said angrily. "Stop Howard! It's not because of Nick! You should be thankful to Nick, you know!" My sister started shouting at me. I released my grip off Nick, wanting to hear what Angie's got to say. She started to tell the reason behind their tears. Then, I realized my mistake. I apologized to Nick. He smiled back at me. "Well, the game's on. What more I could say?" I commented on their story. Nick grinned as he said, "Howie's right. The game's on."