25. Don't Hate the Game, Hate the Player

"She thought she was hired to organize his schedule, but she never planned on rearranging her heart for him

"She thought she was hired to organize his schedule, but she never planned on rearranging her heart for him."

.

As the night dwindled away, I found myself fighting the urge to dodge any interaction with Mr. Bezos at all costs. Greg returned, hurriedly stashing his phone in his pocket.

"My parents, they left," Greg announced, setting his glass down on the table.

"That was quick," I remarked. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Mr. Bezos glancing at us intermittently, his expression somehow altered this time. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but there was definitely something different.

"Yeah. So, are we still on for tomorrow?" Greg inquired.

"Remind me where we're going again?" I asked.

"The car park theatre."

"Oh yeah, almost forgot," I chuckled. "I think I'm ready to go home. My feet are killing me."

"I'll take you home. And hey, we could grab some ice cream on the way, you know?" Greg suggested.

"In the middle of the night?" I raised an eyebrow skeptically.

"Why not? I'll make a quick stop," he insisted, a playful grin spreading across his face.

"Alright," we both headed towards the exit.

Outside, we walked towards his car parked just out front. Greg opened the door for me, and I thanked him with a nod as I got inside. Just as he was making his way to the driver's side, I glanced through the tinted windows and noticed Mr. Bezos standing there, hands in his pockets, watching us.

A shiver ran down my spine, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why. Something felt off, but I pushed the unsettling feeling aside for the moment and looked away. Greg joined me in the car, started the engine, and we drove off into the night.

He made a stop by a corner ice-cream store. We both made it out of the car, making our way towards the store. The light of the moonlight, casting a glow on the quaint little shop, and the aroma of freshly made waffle cones filled the air.

As we approached, I couldn't help but notice the colorful array of flavors displayed behind the glass counter. My mouth watered at the sight of creamy scoops piled high in crispy cones.

"Isn't this place charming?"

"Yeah, it's adorable," I replied, a smile tugging at the corners of my lips.

We stepped inside, greeted by the tinkling of a bell above the door. The interior was cozy, with checkered floors and vintage posters adorning the walls.

A friendly face greeted us from behind the counter, ready to take our order.

"What can I get for you folks today?" she asked, her voice cheery.