36. Ruin Me

"Fighting for you was what I ever did

"Fighting for you was what I ever did."

.

In that moment, my heart raced uncontrollably, its thunderous beats drowning out every other sound. Emotions churned within me like a tempest-fear, disbelief, and a profound sense of betrayal that cut deep. The photos, capturing intimate moments between Amir and me during our date in Canada, now served as ammunition against us.

"I'll take care of everything. I promise," Amir's voice wavered under the weight of our situation, his words a feeble attempt to reassure.

"How long have you known about this?" I asked, my voice steady but my insides a complete mess.

"It's been a while," he confessed, his hands gripping the steering wheel tightly.

"Is someone blackmailing you?" I asked, already knowing the answer but needing to hear it from him.

Amir sighed heavily, his eyes flickering between me and the road ahead. "Yes. That's why I had to fire you."

"Fire me?" The words stung. "So I'm the target, and they're using those photos to control you."

Amir nodded, his expression etched with sorrow. "That's exactly it."

The realization hit me like a ton of bricks. Fired from my job, set up as a pawn in someone's malicious game. My mind raced to find a culprit. "Athena. Could it be her? She always had it out for me."

"Athena?" Amir chuckled bitterly. "No, not her."

"Why not? She despised me from day one," I argued, desperation creeping into my voice.

"Athena is many things, but she wouldn't stoop to blackmail," Amir insisted, shaking his head.

"You might be underestimating her," I retorted, feeling a rush of frustration and fear.

Silence settled between us as we drove, the weight of the situation pressing down like a heavy fog. I felt a sinking dread, unsure of what lay ahead. "Maybe it's best if we stay away from each other," I finally suggested, resignation heavy in my voice.

Amir was silent for a moment, his gaze fixed on the road ahead. The tension between us was visible, words unspoken yet hanging heavily in the air.

"Don't," Amir pleaded softly, his voice tinged with a mix of frustration and desperation. "You know we've tried that before, but we always end up back together. I can't do it, and I won't."

"But we have to," I insisted, my voice trembling. "It's safer this way. What if they're watching us? I can't bear the thought of anyone knowing about us."

Amir sighed deeply, his brow furrowing in concern. "I need you to do something for me. Promise me something?"

"What is it?" I asked warily.