37. A Love Situation Gone So Wrong

"She found herself loving him in ways she couldn't explain, even though she knew she shouldn't

"She found herself loving him in ways she couldn't explain, even though she knew she shouldn't."

.

It's funny how things unfolded, but I found myself agreeing to join Greg on a camping trip for the weekend. Yes, that Greg—the one who kissed me and later showed up at my doorstep a little too drunk. Despite all that, I just needed a moment and I couldn't resist the idea of a getaway. Sometimes you just need a break from the routine, right?

Swinging my legs out of bed, I checked my phone—6:30 AM. Perfect timing. I grabbed a quick shower and dressed in my favorite hiking pants, a comfy loose top, and a fleece jacket for the chilly mountain evenings. My trusty hiking boots completed the ensemble.

My phone beeped. On the screen I could see Amir's name and I just couldn't let him stop me nor know about my whereabouts knowing that someone found out we were fooling around with each other and I just figured that this camping trip might help to get this off my mind.

The message reads:

Butterfly. I hope your day off is treating you well. I've been thinking about how nice it would be to spend some time together today. Maybe I could arrange for someone to pick you up so we can run a few errands and enjoy each other's company. Let me know when you get this message—I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

But here's the thing: all I wanted was to keep my distance. I didn't want to be caught in Athena's crossfire or labeled as the other woman. I truly hoped he could sort things out and uncover the truth behind it all.

A knock on the door startled me—it was Greg, right on time. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

"Morning, Elle," Greg greeted me with a tentative smile, his eyes betraying a mix of emotions—nervousness, regret, and something else I couldn't quite place.

"Hey," I replied, trying to keep my tone neutral. "Ready for the trip?"

"Yeah, definitely," Greg nodded eagerly, his enthusiasm contrasting with my guarded behavior.

We stood there in awkward silence, both unsure how to navigate the tension between us. Greg shifted uncomfortably, clearly wrestling with his own thoughts.

"Did you sleep okay?" he finally asked, his voice soft and tentative, breaking the heavy silence.

"Yeah, fine," I replied shortly, mentally kicking myself for sounding so distant. "You?"

Greg hesitated, his expression faltering briefly before he answered, "Not really. I... had a lot on my mind."

I nodded, not pressing further. There was already so much left unsaid between us. Instead, I focused on gathering my gear—backpack, sleeping bag, flashlight—anything to avoid looking directly at him.