31. Three Days Alone with my Ex-Boss

"Tears fall like shattered glass, each drop a painful reminder of what once was

"Tears fall like shattered glass, each drop a painful reminder of what once was."

Eminem - Love The Way You Lie ft. Rihanna

.

I sat on the edge of my bed, my mind a chaotic whirlwind of confusion and frustration. How could he just fire me like that? I mean, sure, I had my shortcomings, but termination seemed a bit extreme. As I scrolled through my phone, searching for any sign of logic in the situation, I couldn't help but wonder if this was the abrupt end of my story.

My attire matched my mood - casual yet disoriented. An oversized white t-shirt hung loosely over my crossed legs, while my fingers found ease in the repetitive motion of stroking Chipper's head. He seemed to sense my distress, offering silent companionship in the midst of my turmoil.

Glancing over at my laptop, I was suddenly reminded of the task that lay ahead: finding a new job. The mere thought of combing through job listings, crafting tailored resumes, and enduring nerve-wracking interviews made my head ache even more.

With a heavy sigh, I pushed myself up from the floor, running a weary hand through my tousled hair. Just as I contemplated my next move, the shrill ring of my phone shattered the silence. Eve's name flashed across the screen, momentarily diverting my attention from my own troubles.

I hesitated for a moment before answering, my voice betraying the turmoil within me. "Hello," I managed, my tone strained.

"Hey dear, Eleanor. You don't sound too good," Eve's cheerful voice echoed through the receiver.

I attempted to muster a small smile. "Umm...I'm just juggling a lot right now."

Eve chuckled, her warmth seeping through the phone. "Well, I was hoping you could lend me a hand with a few things. It's nothing major, but I thought it might pique your interest."

For a brief moment, a sense of relief washed over me. "Well...I'm currently jobless, so I suppose I have the time."

"Oh my God. What happened? When did this happen?" Eve's concern was visible even through the phone.

"Just yesterday. I'm still trying to make sense of it all," I admitted, my voice tinged with resignation.

Eve wasted no time in extending her offer of assistance. "How about this? Come work for me until you find something else. Consider it a temporary solution."

I considered her proposition, weighing the pros and cons in my mind. "I guess that sounds... okay. When do I start?"

"I'll give you until Monday to gather yourself. I'll send over the details for where to find me," Eve replied, her tone brimming with reassurance.

As I hung up the phone, a glimmer of hope flickered within me. Perhaps this unexpected turn of events was the universe's way of guiding me towards a new path. With Eve's offer in mind, I felt a renewed sense of determination to navigate through the uncertainties that lay ahead.