35. Day Three: No More Secrets

'Real love, was what I wanted'

.

There were a thousand things running through my head as I sat around the kitchen island, waiting for him to finally tell me what was going on. Amir stood across from me, his face unreadable, devoid of any emotion. It was unnerving, to say the least, because usually, I could read him like an open book.

He placed the car keys on the counter with a deliberate slowness, his eyes never leaving mine. This was it. The moment I had been anticipating and dreading all at once. I needed answers, and I needed them now.

As he opened his mouth to speak, breaking the heavy silence that hung between us, my phone suddenly rang. Seriously? Right now? I glanced at the phone on the kitchen island—it was Tracy calling. Why did she have to call at this exact moment?

Amir's gaze flickered to the phone and then back to me. I hesitated for a second, then reached for the phone.

"I gotta take this," I said, trying to keep my voice steady as I picked up the phone and excused myself from the kitchen. I walked towards the living room, near the window where I could have some privacy.

"Tracy, hey," I greeted her as I answered the call.

"Eleanor. Can we meet up and talk? I hope you have time if you don't mind," Tracy's voice sounded concerned on the other end.

"I'm not in town, Tracy. I'm sorry," I replied, my mind still racing with everything that was happening.

She sighed, her voice tinged with concern, "Where are you? If you don't mind me asking. I just wanted someone to talk to. It's about my daughter."

"I'm out with one of my cousins. I'm hours away. Can it wait until I get back?" I replied, trying to gauge the urgency in her voice.

"Okay. You know... I have been wanting to say something to you."

I felt a flicker of nervousness, my heart starting to race. "What is it?"

She hesitated briefly before continuing, "You remember when I told you about Mr. Bezos and his intentions with Riley...?"

"Yes?"

"It wasn't true. I made it up to protect you from getting too close to him, knowing the kind of woman he was involved with. I wanted to watch out for you."

Relief washed over me, grateful that she had my best interests at heart. "Thank you for looking out for me. I appreciate it."

"Well, I have to get back to work now. I hope everything is okay with you?"

"Yeah, everything's fine. Take care, and I hope things are okay with your daughter too," I responded before the line went dead.

Despite the reassurance, something niggled at the back of my mind, but I couldn't quite grasp it. Pushing it aside, I headed to the kitchen where Amir was still seated, looking contemplative.