3. || Alleyway Blues

Zuri Aniyah Banks
TWO MONTHS LATER
NEW YORK, NEW YORK

Zuri held the camera in her hands, focusing on the person that posed in front of her. She wanted to take the perfect picture of the individual, taking a deep breath before she pressed down on the shutter button to capture the photo.

"There it is." She smiled to herself as she examined the photograph. She felt a rush of excitement through her body as she admired her work.

"Do you like it, Talia?" Zuri asked, showing the photograph to her client. The smile that graced on Talia's face made Zuri feel happier, knowing that she had impressed someone else with her talents.

"Yes. It's so beautiful." Talia complimented, analyzing the photograph, which caused her cheeks to hurt from smiling too hard.

"I'll send it to you through email. Thank you for trustin' me to take these pictures." Zuri thanked, hugging Talia.

"You're welcome. Thank you for doing this for me, NiyNiy." Talia replied, kissing her cheek before she walked out of the room.

After about another hour of the taking more photographs of clients at her college that booked appointments with her, Zuri formally thanked her teacher, Mr. Shelton, shaking his hand before grabbing her belongings, and she left the photography room.

She indulged in the refreshening drink from the cold bottle of water, sighing when her phone vibrated in her pocket. She answered the call, smiling when Loren's face covered the screen.

"Hey, NiyNiy. How was class?" Loren enthusiastically asked, smiling at the camera when Zuri smiled, showing her pearly white teeth.

"Class was very productive today and I made some money, too." Zuri informed, getting in the Uber that she had ordered five minutes before dismissal from class.

"You talked to Elle?" Loren hesitatingly asked, instantly regretting that she had asked the question when Zuri frowned at the camera.

"Nope. Elle is part of the reason that I was traumatized that night. One of us could've died or got seriously hurt because of her actions. I appreciate her for defendin' me, but it's levels to it, Lola." Zuri ranted, scoffing when the memories from the night of the party replayed in her head.

"I understand that, but that's how she grew up, NiyNiy. She come from violence. Show ha a little grace." Loren pleaded, rubbing her ear when she began to feel slightly stressed.

"And now you're enablin' her behavior. How do y'all expect Elle to have any growth if y'all keep excusin' her behavior?" Zuri asked as she shook her head, rolling her eyes.

"Don't do that." Loren sighed as she smacked her lips, propping the phone against a pillow. She knew that Zuri had a point, but she was also very patient with Ellmir's violent behavior.

"Don't do what? Speak facts. I can't help that I have a tendency of saying what other people are thinking." Zuri replied, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Don't start talkin' all proper. You only do that shit when you upset." Loren chuckled, knowing that her friend had an attitude since she knew her like the back of her hand.

"That's not the point. You and Raq have to stop enabling that foolish ass shit that Elle do. I don't know about y'all, but I love my life." Zuri said, handing the Uber driver a twenty dollar tip before she grabbed her belongings and got out of the car.

"Look, Elle said she sorry. Can you please forgive ha one last time? I miss all of us hangin' out together." Loren pouted, hoping that Zuri would agree to show grace again.

Zuri heavily sighed, shaking her head. "I'll think about it, but it's not like I'll be out with y'all like I was during the Summer. I'm in school now and I take my career serious." Zuri shrugged, walking on the sidewalk.