12. || Innocence Evanesced

Zuri Aniyah Banks
One Week Later
HARLEM, NEW YORK

Waking up to the sound of her alarm, Zuri silenced it, groaning as she stood up from the bed and went into the bathroom to do her morning hygiene.

After she finished, she walked back into her bedroom, putting on her outfit before she sighed heavily, walking to the kitchen. She stopped at the counter that had an envelope on it with her name and she opened it to read the card.

Happy 21st birthday, Zuri. I had to work for your special day, but I'll make it up to you. I love you. Enjoy today with your friends.
-Grams

"Happy birthday to me." She shrugged, opening the refrigerator, and she smiled when she noticed the birthday cake.

"I forgive you already, grams." She chuckled to herself, cutting a slice of cake for herself, and she ate it as she scrolled on TikTok.

Hearing her phone ring, she answered it when she read Amazi's contact name. "Hello?"

"Happy birthday, boo. Check your bank account app and emails." He said, smiling when he heard her laugh.

Zuri logged into her bank account app, seeing that a twenty thousand dollar deposit was transferred to her account.

"What the fuck? Mazi." She excitedly laughed, walking into her bedroom as she put the phone on speaker.

"Twenty-one thousand for your twenty first birthday. I'm doin' good so far?" He asked.

"Yes. I'm checkin' my emails right now." She informed, going to her email app, and she gasped in shock at the confirmation emails for a nail, hair, and lash appointment.

"You did not." She smiled, tapping on the FaceTime icon, and she kissed the camera when he answered it.

"Happy birthday. Everything already paid for. Just make it to the appointments on time and be at my crib at three." He instructed, feeling her happiness radiate through the phone, which made him happier.

"Okay. I love you. Thank you fa this." She winked, blowing at kiss to him, and he smiled as he caught it.

"I love you, too." He smiled, licking over his lips as he stared at her face— one of his obsessions about her.

"And my man. Thank you to my man." She playfully chuckled, repeatedly kissing the camera.

"You welcome, pretty girl. Get to that nail appointment and get white toes." He said before hanging up the call, and she loudly squealed.

Zuri grabbed her purse and car keys, leaving the house to head to the first appointment. After about two hours, her nails, toes, and eyebrows were completed, and she went to her lash appointment.

After about another hour, her lash appointment was complete, and she went to her hair appointment, which was finished within an hour and a half.

Zuri got in her car, looking at herself in the mirror, and she smiled. "Bitch, I look good as fuck." She said to herself, admiring her beauty.

She checked the time on her phone, reading that it was 2:31pm. She quickly made a stop at McDonald's, ordering a medium Carmel frappe with crushed Oreos, extra whipped cream, and extra Carmel before heading to Amazi's house.

"Honey, I'm home." Zuri announced as she walked in the house after using the key that Amazi had given her two days prior.

"You look good, boo." Amazi complimented as he walked towards her, picking her up to kiss her, and she wrapped her legs around his torso.