5. || You're Late

Zuri Aniyah Banks
ONE DAY LATER
HARLEM, NEW YORK

The obnoxious noise from the alarm on Zuri's phone woke her up from her sleep and she turned it off before getting out of the bed. She walked into the bathroom, doing her morning hygiene.

When Zuri finished getting dressed, she walked out of the bathroom. She checked her bag to make sure she had the needed belongings inside of it before checking the time on her phone, seeing that it was 7:47am.

She opened the mini refrigerator that she had in her bedroom to grab two sliced lemons and a cold bottle of Core water. She poured the water in her pink Stanley cup and she added the lemons.

She grabbed her bag and phone, sliding her feet in her red crocs, and she walked out the bedroom to greet her grandmother.

"Goodmorning, grams." She smiled, sitting her belongings on the couch.

"Goodmorning, baby. Where you goin' this early?" Erin asked, looking up from the newspaper that she read.

"Oh, Amazi takin' me to school, but he wanted to take me to get breakfast first." Zuri replied, packing a few snacks in a Walmart bag.

"Oh. Y'all just friends, right?" Erin asked as she stated at Zuri, waiting for a response. She didn't want to intervene with the friendship that Zuri and Amazi were developing, so she could only pray that her granddaughter didn't fall for him.

"Yes ma'am." Zuri chuckled, side eyeing her grandmother as she put the bag of snacks in her bag. She remembered the conversation that she overheard Erin and Amazi have the night prior, knowing that that was her grandmother's reason for questioning her.

There was a knock on the screen door, getting their attention, and Zuri walked to the front door, opening it for Amazi.

"Hey, Mazi." She smiled, opening the screen door for him, letting him walk inside the house.

"Wassup." He smiled, giving her a side hug despite wanting to hug her from the front, and he walked over to Erin, hugging her as well.

"You takin' ha to school? Are you pickin' ha up?" Erin asked as she looked at Amazi, and he nodded his head.

"Yes ma'am. You ready?" He laughed as he looked away from Erin to look at Zuri, grabbing her belongings off of the couch, and she nodded her head.

"See you later, grams. Love you." Zuri smiled, hugging her grandmother before she walked out of the house with Amazi.

Amazi opened the passenger door, helping her comfortably get in the truck, and he sat her belongings in her lap before he closed the door.

"Where we bouta eat at?" Zuri asked when he got in the truck, and he chuckled as he started the truck.

"A breakfast joint called the Sugar Hill Cafe." He replied with a smile on his face, glancing over at her, and she smiled.

Forty Minutes Later

Zuri and Amazi sat at a table in the restaurant, eating their breakfast that they had ordered. Feeling that someone was staring at her, Zuri looked up, laughing when she locked eyes with Amazi.

"You're staring." She chuckled, tilting her head as she put a strawberry in her mouth, and she smiled as she looked around the restaurant.

"You don't like when people stare at you?" He asked, reaching over the table to use his thumb to get the syrup off the corner of her mouth.

"Thank you, and nope. I'm use to it." She said, using the fork to cut her pancakes before she lowly groaned.

"That sounded so cocky. I'm sorry." She embarrassingly sighed, face palming herself as she chuckled.