Cauda 10 - Friendly Fire

"Bad enough I got some punk kid harassing me today. Now I gotta deal with an assassin."

Bright lights filled her vision. Her past movements were a blur. She grabbed Carol and Whitty and ran. Following directions she couldn't remember now, she hopped from street from to street, bleeding and in hot pursuit by demons. She heard he car was completely totaled before she was surrounded by IRIS agents and blacked out.

Eyes adjusted she noticed it wasn't just one bright light but many. There were plenty of small ones flickering about. It was the Fae. Adjusting herself they fluttered away.

"So you're finally up." A cheery but commanding voice said.

As she rejoined the world of the conscious the pain returned too. Her hands were numb, back shot and stomach burning. She sighed, looking around.

She lay on a medical bed with a white blanket covering her lower half. Bandages covered her arms, hands and back. Next to her and lying unconscious were Whitty and Carol on separate beds, a fluttering of Fae around them, working overtime to heal. Both looked like hell.

"Annie...They didn't take out your hearing did they?" The cheery voice asked.

Annie looked in front seeing Rosie standing there, pink sniper rifle holstered to her side. "Ugh. I need a drink." Annie groaned. The data centre wasn't as bustling with activity as it was before. All employees had checked out for the night leaving the Carnival in command. At the end of the room she saw the COs standing at the large screen watching over everyone's movements.

Radi sat at one of the desks, clicking through something on the screen in front of him.

The COs were in discussion, Annie listening in. As soon as she heard them mention Mommy's return she narrowed her eyes.

"S-she's back?" Annie asked, adjusting herself further. Though she'd been calm, rage started to bubble underneath.

"Apparently." Tess said, focusing on the screens.

"Then this isn't over." Annie pulled the blanket off and started to get up. "I'm going back in."

"Like hell you are." Rosie said seriously.

"We failed. I'm not gonna let her just roam free." She gritted her teeth.

Displo didn't look back, instead just speaking out loud. "Updike shot her. You're staying here. If we need you back in ill tell her."

"Hmph. Is she still alive?"

"Barely." Displo said.

"Good. I hope she suffers." Annie felt sharp pains throughout her body. It was protesting her sudden movements. It had no intention of returning to the compound. Especially not without more healing.

Annie sat back down, putting the blanket back over her legs.

"You got a drink?" She asked Rosie.

"Will this do?" A feminine voice spoke, this time from beside Annie. She turned aside, seeing someone she didn't recognize.

Tall with a lion's mane of vanilla-coloured hair hiding two animal ears, she wore stylish clothing, black and light brown shirt and shorts. She was dressed for summer excluding the fur jacket that hung open on her shoulders.

She handed Annie a glass filled with an amber liquid. Annie knew what it was even before downing it.

"Thanks, uh.."

"Botan." She never attended the team meetings aside from one. Her role was to watch over the data centre. Annie only vaguely knew of her role.

"Nothin' happening above?" Annie asked as she adjusted herself. Nevermind Mommy, she was back to thinking of the operation.