Chapter 4: Caught In The Riptide

Percy Jackson POV

The talk with Tony went super well and we had to return back to camp afterward to maintain the things back home. Tony said that he would help us however possible and try to throw people off track, and I was super grateful for his help, but it still stresses me out.

There's a reason why we keep our world a secret. This isn't something that mortals can understand. And the government, well, we have powers. What if they try to do something against us because they're afraid?

"I know what you're thinking Percy, and it scares me too, but let's just get to camp right now and call for a meeting," my Wise Girl told me. I gave her a small smile and reached out to hold her hand.

The trip back to camp was silent, but everything was so hectic there. Stealing a quick glance at each other, I quickly ran over toward Chiron to see what had happened.

"Chiron!" I shouted as I got closer to our mentor.

"Percy, my boy, thank the gods you have come back! The situation has just gotten worse!"

"Worse, Chiron, tell me what happened!"

"The camp borders have fallen," he told me, making my jaw go slack.

Camp borders are down?

Even with the mist being weakened, at least the borders were still up, protecting our kind from the outside world.

Now we truly were out in the open.

Our strawberry farm cover won't be enough to hide from the world all of the things we have here.

And what about Camp Jupiter? I don't even think they have another cover for their camp because they built an entire city. Oh gods, Reyna, she must be so stressed. I should IM her at some point.

I must have looked so lost in thought because Chiron reached out a hand to pat me on the shoulder.

"We will work through this," he told me. "Till then, may the fates be on our side."

"We have to set a 24/7 patrol," I told Chiron. "All day every day we need the demigods standing around the perimeter of camp to protect us from monsters and mortals. We will rotate so it's not too difficult, but we need the protection. With all the demigods together in one place and no border to protect us, we're at a ridiculously high risk of being attacked."

Chiron nodded and allowed me to proceed with my plan.

I called for a counselors meeting where the head camper of each cabin came together around the ping pong table in the Big House. I told them of my plan and, after a unanimous agreement, we set it in motion.

Annabeth, Clarisse, Nico, and I all decided that we should be there constantly in order to make sure the younger campers standing in patrol are doing a good job and don't mess around. As much as I hate to say it, but the four of us are the oldest and strongest demigods. We have seen war and know the actual severity of the problem. The younger kids just don't understand and I don't want them to lose their blissful ignorance at 11 years old.

Standing in patrol all day was hard work. It was exhausting and irritated you to no end, until you got a monster attack and then was suddenly reminded how important it is to be on duty. We have the Apollo cabin medics on standby in case any of us get hurt fighting a monster and people bring us food whenever it's time to eat so that there isn't even a second when our camp isn't being patrolled.

But this was honestly getting so sad. I was angry at the gods. Once again they have dumped us down with a huge problem that also concerns them, and they aren't even lifting a finger to help.

When was this all going to end?