Chapter III - Blood God

UNSC Marine Corps Hospital, New Mombassa, East African Protectorate

Colonel Richard Wright glared across the desk at the psychiatrist sitting across from him. This was the first time he had returned to his homeworld in two years. He had survived the Covenant War the best he could. Colonel Wright had numerous notations in his service record citing his rescues of his fellow marines. However, all the suits and REMFs seemed to notice was the repeated reports of his 'uncomfortable aggression'. Why were humans expected to show the Covenant mercy? Why were humans expected to tie their hands when the Covenant repeatedly butchered whole worlds?

Why indeed? Colonel Wright snapped back to reality when he heard those words. They were spoken, not verbally, but mentally. And they were not spoken in his voice or the shrink's.

"Colonel Wright. Thank you for coming today. I hope your return to Earth was pleasant."

"Why am I here?" There was no need for pleasantries. Wright was a soldier fighting for the survival of his species.

Harold Painter, a thin young man with dark hair and round spectacles, sighed. "Your commanders are concerned about some of the tactics your company made use of on Oleander. The reports compare your... actions to a berserker fury. The 391st Marine Company executed dozens of wounded and surrendering Covenant soldiers."

Wright snarled at the audacity of this man. "Of course we slaughtered them. Did the Covenant show mercy to Harvest, Reach, Carter's World, Sigma II, the other human worlds they burned or to the billions of human civilians they've cut down in their war? I am proud that I spilt there blood!"

As you should be! There is no place for mercy on the battlefield. Blood must flow if there is to be victory!

Dr. Painter nodded. "The Covenant's war is barbarous, yes. But if we give into our baser instincts and desires, what does that make us? We become the monsters we are fighting."

It makes you strong! It frees you from the artificial restraints the fearful place on the mighty and the deserving.

Wright interlocked his fingers and leaned forward. "How many worlds have you fought on, bled for, Dr. Painter?"

"My medical conditions prevent me from serving on the frontlines. So I serve in the only way I can."

What right does this man have to speak of service? He is a coward. He fears the primal call of war. Unlike you he is too weak to embrace it. He will project his own weakness upon you. Richard Wright, you know what his decision will be. This wretched creature will deny you battle. It has never been about Earth or mankind, not truly. You thrive on war. It is the only home you have. The UNSC will never accept you or your unit! But I will. With the arrival of the Star Child's pawns, I require a Champion in the Materium. I offer you power and limitless conflict, free from these fictions boundaries. Prove your fealty with a sacrifice.

"You have already made your decision, Doctor. I now know that I have been under constant surveillance since I arrived. You feel that I am unstable and irredeemably violent."

Dr. Painter was taken aback by the tone of his patient's voice. It cut like cold, tempered steel. "I am not sure where you are getting these ideas, but I have not rendered judgment."

Colonel Wright burst into a dark, booming laughter. "Judgment! Who are you to speak of judgment? You are weak! I can see the fear in your eyes when you look at me. Even now, sheer terror grips you! Harold Painter, you have feared this moment since you looked at my service records! You fear the moments I free myself of the chains true warriors have been bound by for far too long!"