Against the Nihility

"Before you jump into any kind of conclusions, we higher ups here in the SCP Labs aren't as ruthless as you think. We don't use the same methods as the SCP Foundation, and each one of us is completely human in heart. Either driven by utter boredom or complete greed, we abide by the same rule to never turn our backs against humanity. This is what our predecessors taught us. To stray from that path is considered treason and punishable by death." They all arrived to the White House. Angela jumped down first, followed by her bodyguards. Jack and his two companions went right after.

"Why are you telling me this?" She turned around and looked up at Jack.

"It's written all over your face. You think I harbor some kind of ill intent with you. I'll be honest, that hurts my pride. I am NOT one of those SCP Foundation fools. This is how I show my hospitality and respect. Especially since you're the prophesized man." They walked inside in silence, and continued with it until they reached the President's office.

The room was all white, with white marble tiles, white walls, white table, and the only black in the room, the office chair. There was a nameplate with the name "Boris Andreyev, President of Russia" and piles of papers on the table. Behind it is a man currently busy signing documents.

"It's you, Miss Angela. And who have you brought in today?"

"Seriously? Right in front of Doctor Bright? How shameless can you be?" The man looked up and saw Jack. "I'm down here, old man!" She showed her disappointment by rolling her eyes and crossing her arms.

"Oh, so you're Dr. Jack Bright?" He removed his glasses and squinted his eyes at him before putting it back.

Should I be polite or just start aggressively trolling him? He stood there awkwardly.

"Have you gone senile? What happened to your experiment?"

"Come on, I was just pondering. You have the lapis lazuli in your amulet, so it really must be you. I apologize for introducing myself so late, I have gone busy with different projects as of late. With the election right in the corner, I have to make sure that everything is wrapped up for the next president." They don't rig the elections? What a surprise.

"Oh yeah old man, remember that head researcher that Doctor Bright first took over?" Huh? That fatty? "Turns out there was more to him than we originally thought. Good thing he's dead. I'll send you the files later."

"If I may interrupt, who exactly is that guy?" Jack asked.

"A money hungry fool. He sold all kinds of information at the black market and got himself corrupted with a dangerous virus anomaly from CSK. We were looking for a way to kill him before you stepped in the picture."

"I see."

"Yeah back to the topic, me and Doctor Bright here are going to Japan with Doctor Krankov for the upcoming project. Since Lucas didn't wanna participate, I might as well bring his uncle instead."

"That scheming bastard probably has a plan with that twink from California. Keep an eye out and lock your projects away from them."

"Sure old man. Doctor, let's go, I don't want you exposed with this senile old man." She left the room followed by Jack.

"How long is this gonna be?"

"Two weeks minimum. We are going back first so you can pack your bags and we can finally go. You two, go call the other half of your team and pack your bags as well. You are his bodyguards, after all."

"Yes, ma'am." They rode the limousine parked right at the entrance.

"As for the details of this project, it's simple. We're gonna find a way to make a vehicle in space that can lift all of us in this world, like a commuting system. Second, we will do a test run while finding a habitable planet far away, but not too far. Third, once we find one, we build our station. That's it for now."

"The first part sounds pretty unreasonable. It would take decades to build something that big."

"That's why we need the help of our other anomalous friends. They can build something out of thin air, and it takes less money too."

"How many anomalous people are involved with this project?"

"I'd say at least 20. Most of them are from the higher ups, and one of them is a Thaumiel like you."

"Then, what's my purpose in this project? I can't do what they can do."

"Are you sure? You haven't even explored everything in that amulet yet." She took a glance at his amulet. "And, you're here to take part in the planning. Most of the people coming either have dumb minds or couldn't care less. I know the SCP Foundation has more advanced technology compared to us, so we'd like you to cooperate."

"No problem at all."

"I'm glad you're reasonable. As a reward, I'll give you something really important to you after the project ends."

"Thank you." What could that be? Oh, I see how it is. "If I may ask, what's the next step in the plan?"

"We build a portal for quick access and colonize the planet. Next, we will be making a way to make all other nearby planets habitable."

"I see, that's quite a plan as well."

"By the way, we're almost back." Jack looked at the window and saw the branch up ahead.

It took a little while for him to hop down and go back to his chamber alone.

Once he opened the door, he was met with a familiar darkness that enveloped his presence.

"Thomas, we can't stay here in the SCP Foundation longer. Once they find out my secrets, it could kill you." He glared at me with his usual dead eyes, shackles binding him in this chamber.

"Brother, are you delirious? We both know you can't survive this war with a shackle binding you to me."

"What are you saying? I literally joined them just to get you out of here!" He smiled weakly, making me frown, knowing what he's about to say.

"Go on without me."

He stared for a while, his hands gripping on the doorknob as he sighed. I know him well. He would find a way to contact me as soon as he heard of me. He's either stuck in a different world, or maybe... he finally found a way to die.

He closed the door behind him and forced his eyes to look upward, blinking them rapidly. The built up tears in his eyes fell, and he immediately wiped them with his sleeves before it made a mark.

He opened the lights and took deep breaths to calm himself down. I should pack everything I have.