Chapter 11: Strange...

~Saturday, October 17th, 2015

~
Saturday, October 17th, 2015

"Happy 18th birthday!!" I rubbed my eyes to see my mom cheffing it up in the kitchen. I can't lie, it smelled amazing right now. I could see eggs, bacon, pancakes and toast on four plates. I narrowed my eyes, finding this a bit..strange.

My mom hasn't really made my birthday anything special recently, I mean, she tried doing what she could on my 16th because, you know, your 16th birthday is supposed to be special, but she didn't have the money at the time.

"Oh, well, thank you." She smiled before turning the stove off and ushering me to come into the kitchen and grab breakfast. "You know, I was thinking a lot last week about how to make today special for you. So we can do whatever you want today, even if that means not throwing a party." I raised a brow, grabbing a plate off of the counter and filling it with all of this delicious food. It truly had my mouth watering as I couldn't wait to dig in.

My mom prefers to throw her kids big birthday parties, allowing us to have as much fun as we can on our big days. Everything changed when Alex came into the picture though, he convinced her that it was a big waste of money and blowing it all on things that are only used for one day was just ridiculous. So, the last huge party I had was when I was 13. I didn't really mind the change, those big parties weren't my thing anyway.

"I wasn't really wanting to do much, maybe have my friends over." I pulled out the bench underneath the table and sat on it cris crossed as I set my plate of food down along with the syrup for my pancakes. My mom made her own plate and then joined me right after, but she smirked a little as she thought to herself.

Uh, what is she planning...?

"You could also invite that boy over, the one you are so willing to get in trouble for." I almost dropped my fork as I cut into my food. Giggles spilled from her lips at the surprised look on my face and at my cheeks that became pink. "Mom! Oh my god!"
"What?! Am I wrong? And plus, he seems like a nice boy, I wouldn't mind if you did." I bit the inside of my cheek, feeling embarrassed. Hearing her call me out wasn't something I was prepared for right after waking up.

She continued to giggle some more, and it was very nice to see her able to relax. Everytime Alex is away on a work trip, our house remains quiet and chill. I usually get to talk to my mom more because we both freely walk throughout the house and I leave my room more.

And thank god he is gone during my birthday.

I understand that it's hard to leave someone who financially supports you and your kid, giving them a place to live and help to feed them. But it sucks because I know that she would be so much happier without him.

"I mean, I guess not. He is kind to me even if we haven't known each other for too long." She nodded before reaching down to the ground, a gift bag was then placed on the table before me. I smiled seeing the various pumpkins decorating the bag along with the black tissue paper.